A Priceless Experience, Thank You Kaydee

Find your people, love them hard.

13
Abby Luschei

Being in a sorority was never a part of my plan.

When I came to college, it was the last thing on my mind. That quickly changed.

When I went through recruitment, I was scared. Scared to pick the wrong chapter, scared the process wouldn't work for me, scared that I would make a mistake.

When I opened my bid card and read the words "Kappa Delta," it was easily one of the best moments of my life. From that one moment on, my life was changed forever.

I hate to be the typical sappy sorority girl, who loves her sorority way too much. Who thinks it is the best sorority in the world, and that no other chapter can compare. Whose sisters changed them, and helped create memories that would last a lifetime.

I really do not want to be that girl, but I totally am.

Kappa Delta is truly unlike every other sorority. The women I am honored to call my sisters are passionate. Their ambitious, spontaneous, and intelligent. They strive to be the best versions of themselves. They make mistakes and learn from them. They work hard and play harder. I could write a novel about them.

Most importantly, they inspire me to embody all of those qualities. They make me feel important, that who I am and what I do matters.

Thinking back on how I used to perceive sororities, I can't believe I ever thought that.

You may be thinking, "wow, this sounds like something every sorority girl could say about their chapter."

Well, you're right, but you are also wrong.

These are the people who threw ice cubes at a guy, who screwed me over one too many times, when he tried to talk to me at the bar.

Women who dressed up like tootsie rolls and flamingos, and jumped out of closets to scare girls during recruitment.

Friends who helped me search through Pemberton Fest for hours when I lost my keys and phone during a show.

Girls who will spend hours roasting each other in the GroupMe at 2 a.m.

People who understand that there is such thing as a pre-dinner, dinner, and post-dinner routine.

Women who know how to take a joke, and can give you your sh*t right back to you.

Women who want to make an impact in the world. Who inspire me to do the same.

This is what separates Kappa Delta from the rest, and why it will forever have a special place in my heart.

Being a Kappa Delta has taught me to never take life too seriously. It taught me that material things and how you look don't matter as much as who you are as a person does.

It taught me how to balance your life in order to accomplish your goals, but to also enjoy your youth.

In a couple weeks, I will soon have to add "Kappa Delta alum" to my bios and resumes.

Something that has been such a huge part of me will soon be a closed chapter in my story.

Being in a sorority is not a four-year thing, it is for life. I will gladly wear these letters for the rest of my life.

I wanted to write this as a thank you to this amazing organization. To my sisters who truly changed my life. To letters that make me a better person.

Thank you, Kappa Delta. AOT.