Being sick is never fun, but it's 10 times worse when you're in school and drowning in assignments and homework. The unfortunate thing about college is if you miss class, the work piles up quickly, so you have to force yourself to go even when you feel like a pile of poo. You just want to be home so your mom can make you chicken noodle soup and you don't have to worry about a thing except for getting better. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent getting sick and handling it when you do.

1. Wash your hands

wash hands

This should be the first thing you do when you come home from class or being out all day. You don't want to bring in all the germs you came in contact with that day to your home. It's a good idea to make this a habit.

2. Drink plenty of water

drink water

This is important whether you're sick or not. Water detoxes the body and keeps your system flushed out and hydrated. You should drink half of what you weigh in ounces every day.

3. Stay on a good sleep schedule

sleep

Sleep is important, especially if you're getting sick or are sick. If you can manage to get seven to nine hours of sleep a night in college, then go you because it's a struggle. But, make sure you prioritize your sleep and stray away from pulling all-nighters.

4. Prioritize your health

Health

Both mentally and physically, it's important to put yourself and your health first so you can be in tip top shape.

5. Keep over-the-counter drugs on hand

mucinex

You never know when that scratchy throat or runny nose is going to hit. Try to keep cold and flu medicines on hand to hold you over until you see a doctor.

6. Always carry tissues with you

tissue Giphy

In case of a stuffy, runny, or god forbid bloody nose occurs, you will be prepared.

7. Make yourself be active

sick

When you're sick, it can be so hard to make yourself get out of bed or off the couch. But, once you do, I promise you'll feel so much better.

8. Take your vitamins

meds

This is so important, especially during the cold and flu season. Make sure to take vitamin C and D every day because you're not getting the same amount of sun during this time. The EmergenC vitamins are a great choice.

9. Go to the doctor

doctor

It can be a pain sometimes, but you might need antibiotics to fully get over your sickness. Don't be a fool and try to wait it out for several days and just cause yourself more suffering.

10. Go home if you can

soft kitty

This is always my best bet. I can go to my doctor at home, and I'm always on a better schedule in general when I'm home. Plus, your mom gets to wait on you hand and foot, which is nice.