10 Things To Prepare You For An Online Interview

During Covid-19 times online interviews are common and you might need some pointers.

77

Online interviews are arguably more relaxed than in-person interviews. However, that does not mean they are not stressful. There are ways to help destress for an online interview. These ten things can help you get in the proper headspace for an online interview.

1. Dress to impress

i.pinimg.com

Just like any interview, it is so important to make sure your appearance is appropriate. The concept of an online interview makes you feel comfortable. However, wearing loungewear or pajamas is not appropriate. Wear the same clothes you would feel necessary for an in-person interview.

2. Practice interview questions

ianmartin.com

Once again, the concept of a lax interview is very appealing but do not leave your interview up to chance. Practice interview questions and answers. Maybe have a friend or family member host a mock interview to make sure you can think quick in responses.

3. Find a good location

https://pixabay.com/en/desk-smartphone-iphone-notebook-3076954/ 7 Minimalist Tips For Your iPhone https://pixabay.com/en/desk-smartphone-iphone-notebook-3076954/

If you are like me, you might be in college or have roommate. Maybe you are at home with your family. There are two key factors to having a good location. Make sure the place you are has good lighting that illuminates your face, and make sure it is quiet. These will make your appearance and volume stronger.

4. Make sure your camera and microphone are working

How To Choose The Perfect College Laptop LAPTOP Mag

You will not be successful in an interview if you cannot be heard. Make sure whatever device you use for the interview is functioning perfectly. Your camera is important so the interviewer can see you. Make sure to set this up in advance.

5. Join 5-10 minutes before the time assigned

media.newjobs.com

Depending on your interviewer, they might ask you to join earlier. Just like an in-person interview, early is on time, and on time is late. Give yourself enough time to relax while waiting for the interviewer to join you.

6. Make sure Zoom is working

images.indianexpress.com

Spend a few minutes before you join your call checking that Zoom, or whatever platform you will use, works. The last thing you want is to be unable to join the call. You can host your own meeting and check how the camera and microphone works, as well as make sure the platform is running smoothly.

7.  Make sure you know the characteristics of the position

dm0qx8t0i9gc9.cloudfront.net

Look back at the information for the job. Go over why you applied and what makes you qualified. Take a look at the job description and know which parts you can excel at. This will help you better prepare for the interview questions.

8. Check the time zone

th.bing.com

Online interactions can get messy. Many people will coordinate in different time zones. Make sure your time zone is correct for the time of your interview. You don't want to miss it or make a scheduling conflict.

9. Always say "thank you" with a smile

th.bing.com

Never leave an interview without thanking your interviewer for their time. Make sure you give them a big confident smile when you thank them. Remember, this is the person you want to impress.

10. Relax

th.bing.com

You can do this! Take a deep breath. You are ready. A positive mindset is the best way to be successful.

Online interviews are stressful, but these tips can help you get to the proper headspace for success.