The Anticipation Of Participating In Delta Gamma Recruitment: Part 1

Representing the bronze, pink and blue one conversation at a time.

124

As I am approaching my second year as a member of Delta Gamma, I could not be more excited to participate in sorority recruitment and welcome a brand new group of initiates into the Eta Pi chapter. I am thrilled that I will have a chance to sit down and converse with a multitude of fresh faces with the hopes of getting to know these young women and gain an understanding of those that will share the values of a DG.

Though, at the same time, I am incredibly anxious. When participating in the rush process last year, I was made aware of the rules that were to be followed in order to receive a potential bid from a sorority. Yet, working as a recruiter, the game has changed completely. Last year, I was simply responsible for sharing my story to the best of my ability to see which chapter I would compliment. This year, I am not only required to listen to the stories of others, but to share my honest opinion of whom I think best exemplifies what it means to be a Delta Gamma.

From the timing of conversations down to the coordinated apparel, I am sure to have a lot on my plate within these next few weeks. My biggest concern is how well I will be able to hold a conversation - more specifically, how well I will be able to avoid discussing the "Five B's" in conjunction with making it seem as though I may or may not have promised a PNM a bid.

Yet, throughout this overwhelming period of Rush Week, recruiters must keep in mind that each PNM is most likely as nervous as we are. Every one of us is afraid we may accidentally say the wrong thing, potentially jeopardizing a bid or our good standings within the chapter. My hope is that, as both members and PNM's create bonds and become comfortable with one another, this tension will dissipate as Bid Day approaches.

How will we survive this week? Stay tuned for updates.