Why I Prefer Summer Storms Over Sunny Days

Unless you're the Wicked Witch of the West, you won't melt from a little rain.
70

Summer is finally here. Nothing beats the season's long days, warmer air, and bright sun. Well...maybe not that last part. Although sunny days are often accredited with making the season as great as it is, I must admit that summer sun seems almost overrated.

In fact, it is not that the sunny days are overrated, but that rainy days are underrated.

Rain has always fascinated me. Growing up, I loved to sit in the trunk of our van and watch storms outside through the open garage. With a bowl of popcorn and a blanket, it was like watching a movie. A steady rain was great because it meant later getting to run around in puddles. Sometimes a magical rainbow would then stretch across the sky.

Even better, though, were real storms. Lightning illuminated the dark voluminous clouds. Thunder roared. Winds picked up and brought turmoil to the once still and silent air. Something about storms seemed so powerful and consequently made everything else seem so powerless. From trees to people themselves, everything other than the storm became helpless.

I now understand that the strength of a storm is something to be feared, yet my fascination has not slipped away. Yes, some storms bring havoc and are truly disastrous, but those that don't are some of my favorite parts of summer. They are such a beautiful reminder of how amazing nature can be.

Moreover, they remind us humans of how minuscule we are in the grand scheme of things. That might not seem like something good, but can be refreshing to have such a blatant reminder that there are things in the world that we will never be able to control.

The next time some rain ruins your picnic date or walk in the park, don't just complain and hide indoors. Take a moment to look around and soak in the sight (not literally--grab an umbrella if you want).

Unless you are made of sugar or are the Wicked Witch of the West, you won't melt from a few drops of rain. When it comes to a good summer rain, you don't always have to look for the bright side of things.