Practice Safe Partying

Practice Safe Partying

2
Practice Safe Partying
123rf.com/profile_bhofack2

I know College Safety 101 is not what is on the minds of most college students, I would say that it couldn’t hurt to be a little more cautious at fraternity parties or downtown.Though these tips may seem obvious or cliché, through my personal experience they are all true and helpful.

Eat before you consume alcohol. This is problem number one for most girls. They don’t eat dinner and start drinking. Two drinks in, they are on their butts and need to go home. Eat food whether you are hungry or not! If for no other reason, so you don’t ruin your night or the night of those unfortunate enough to have to take you home. 

Travel in groups to and from downtown. Never walk city streets by yourself, especially in Athens. There have been a number of incidents of students being mugged, curb stomped, beaten, etc. You do not want to be one of them. When 2 a.m. rolls around, find your friends and walk home together. 

Never leave your drink unattended at a bar or a fraternity party. In college, one in three women will be victims of dating abuse, sexual assault, date rape drugs or random acts of violence. Date rape drugs can easily be slipped into a drink if it is left alone. If you set your drink down, forget it and go buy another. Let’s be honest, you probably aren’t buying your own drinks anyways. 

Be cautious of drinking anything you did not see poured. Hunch Punch is a hot commodity at many fraternity parties. Though often delicious, these can be very potent drinks and, often times, girls do not realize how high the alcohol content of a single drink can be. There is also the possibility that alcohol is not the only substance in the drink.  

Never get in a car with a stranger. Although the walk back from downtown can be a pain, if a complete stranger offers you a ride turn it down. It is too risky to expect them to take you home safely. And who knows, the driver may be intoxicated, which could put you in even more danger.