Why Do You Picture Africa When Thinking Of Poverty?

Why Do You Picture Africa When Thinking Of Poverty When You Just Ignored That Homeless Guy?

A perspective on how Americans see poverty, and how little has been done in order to actually solve the problem of homelessness.

86
Homeless Person with backpack sitting on pavement

"This guy threw a $20 bill in my bowl yesterday; that made my month. I made $45 that day because of him and my usual earnings when panhandling on the street. I hated asking for money, but there was nothing else I could do; I had no home, job, or family. Nor could I play an instrument; boy if I was a drummer, then I would have been able to make a little more money!"

"So, this is how I got here. I was born and raised in the Bronx, went to a local high school there; it wasn't too bad or too good, it was decent. I then went to college at Fordham University, where I had probably the best four years of my life! It was great! Then after graduating with a Bachelor's degree in Business, I worked for this giant corporation, right in Midtown. Wow, what a life! I shortly after met my now ex-wife, got married after 1 year, and about 9 months later, had our little girl, Abby. Now, Abby, she was the light of my world, and all was great until Christmas 2007. You see, one day, I was walking her to school in the snow, and we were crossing the street. Well, I know that I should've looked both ways, but I was having an important phone conversation. When I was still on the sidewalk curb, she stepped into the road, not seeing the car speeding right towards her. My ex-wife blamed me for her death, I agreed. After we divorced, I couldn't focus as much on work anymore. And when I finally got behind, I was shortly fired, and could not find a great job after that. I could say the 2008-2009 recession definitely contributed to that. But then, since I couldn't find a job, I lost my apartment, and I became homeless. That's why I'm here"

"Thank you, Jack, for telling your story. Now can you tell me about your life on the street?" Vanessa asked him.

"Sure. So, I live off of the Northwest street corner of 9th and 45th and have two friends. One is Jenna, who has a sadder story than mine. She was kicked out of her parents' place in mid-Pennsylvania when she was 17 for being gay. She is one of the nicest people, and it is such as shame that she is on the street with me, she deserves so much better."

"Then there is Mario, who is a little wacky. I don't want to come off as offensive, but let me just say he is on the street because he couldn't afford his apartment, and soon after could not afford his meds either. Jenna and I keep an eye on him, especially if we see police."

"What do the police do?" Vanessa asked.

"Oh, they are the worst. They literally arrest homeless people for sleeping in the streets at night. I mean, where else are we going to sleep? All of the shelters are full, or just way too dangerous!"

"Do you get any aid from the federal government?" she asked.

"No, I don't get any aid at the moment. I especially won't get it if they stay in control" Jack responded, gesturing towards the TV. "They're even cutting off aid to homeless veterans" he continued as the ABC news headline read "Trump Administration in the new budget to cut Veterans Homeless program".

"I also just want to say, I hate February here in New York"

"Why?"

"Because I can't sleep. Because it gets so cold that even when you wrap yourself up in everything, it's not warm enough; you shiver to stay warm. And when you actually sleep, you wake up after an hour or so because of how cold it is, the cold just wakes you up, and you start shivering again."

"And I also want to say, what do you know how frustrating it is to be ignored by everyone at your worst moment? Think about it. When you're homeless, you don't have a permanent shelter, cannot rely on having the next meal, and don't have access to good bathrooms. You are literally at your worst. And then to ask people for money on the street takes a lot to, but sometimes you do what you have to do. But, to just sit there on the curb, and have over 100 people pass by, and 90 of them don't even look at you, it hurts. I really only am still here because of those other 10 that actually see me. Sure, 8 out of the 10 don't actually give me money, but at least they see that I'm actually there. I can't tell you how great-"

"Get your hands off of me!" he said to the police officer, then lunged at her. Fighting ensues between the police officers, and Mario is read his Miranda rights on the back of a squad car.

"I have to go!" Jack says and runs out of the diner, and towards to cop car. "He is not on his medication right now officers!" he yells. However, he has then dragged to the ground himself, as one of the police officers took this gesture as an act of violence.

Everyone in the diner just watched silently.

After watching the last of the cop cars leave, Vanessa stopped writing in her notepad.

Further Reading:

Homelessness Myth #20: They Make Million

Homeless in US: A deepening crisis on the streets of America

Homelessness Rises For Second Year In A Row In U.S. After Years Of Decline

Inside Skid Row: America's Homelessness Capital | Direct From With Dena Takruri - AJ

The Trump administration tried to cut a program for homeless veterans