Post Malone's New Album Is A Vibrant Mix Of Different Genres

Post Malone's third album has songs that range from his typical trap style to heavy metal to alt-rock. There's something for everyone in "Hollywood's Bleeding."

14
Facebook / Post Malone

Post Malone's new album, "Hollywood's Bleeding," came out on September 6, 2019. Featuring seventeen tracks (including older songs like "Wow." or "Sunflower (feat. Swae Lee)," as well as newly-released singles "Goodbyes" and "Circles"), Post's new album touches on a range of genres and includes a wide variety of singers and musical artists.

This album (especially in comparison to his previous albums, "Beerbongs & Bentleys" and "Stoney") seems to focus on the more negative aspects of fame. Although Post does rap about material comforts (for example, he alludes to Versace boxers, yachts and being rich on "Saint-Tropez"), many of the songs on this new album talk about the reality of being famous ("Enemies (feat. DaBaby)" and "Hollywood's Bleeding" are good examples) and all that entails, including the constant criticism from haters and the media, as well as the feeling of being surrounded by people yet being completely alone.

As mentioned earlier, Post seems to embrace an assortment of genres in his new album. His typical trap style can be heard in "Saint-Tropez," "Enemies (feat. DaBaby)" and "Die For Me (feat. Future & Halsey)." On the other hand, songs like "Allergic" give off peppy pop vibes that provide a stark contrast with his usual rapping approach, while songs like "Take What You Want" exude a heavy-metal, classic-rock atmosphere.

Post also has an assortment of celebrity features — from Travis Scott and Ozzy Osbourne on "Take What You Want" to SZA on "Staring At The Sun," Post somehow manages to tie all these different voices, genres and techniques together to create the songs we hear on "Hollywood's Bleeding." What probably amazes me the most is how he got Travis Scott and Ozzy Osbourne — two artists on opposite sides of the genre spectrum (Travis Scott is well-known for his heavily-autotuned rapping, while Ozzy Osbourne, "The Prince of Darkness," was the former lead vocalist of the heavy metal band Black Sabbath) — to collaborate on a song like "Take What You Want" and not make it sound too extra or disjointed.

Hollywood's Bleeding youtu.be

My personal favorites, however, would probably have to be "Saint-Tropez," "Circles" and "A Thousand Bad Times." These three songs all exude different styles, which, in my opinion, is the perfect representation of "Hollywood's Bleeding."

Composed of not only different artists from different backgrounds, Post Malone's new album has accomplished something very few albums and musical artists have done successfully — "Hollywood's Bleeding" has combined songs with very distinct styles and genres into an album that is predicted to debut number one on the Billboard 200 charts and that perfectly encompasses all of said styles into one compact, seventeen-track studio album.

A huge congratulations (pun intended) to Post Malone, and happy listening.

Listen to Post Malone's new album on Spotify or YouTube.