Post Grad: Honest Truth and 10 Tips To Survive It

It's not easy

96

You are often told that graduating from college will solve all your problems but that doesn't always work out. Life after college is not easy. A college degree opens more doors but it doesn't always get you into doors. People make it sound like if you don't go to college then you will have to start from the bottom and work your way up. Which this is fine but what they don't tell you is with a college degree, you will still need to do that as well. You'll run into your dream jobs saying you need both a degree AND experience. Just because you have a degree doesn't mean you'll find a job quickly. During college, you had more responsibility but after college that will increase. There will be more bills, college debt and you'll be fully on your own. The Post Grad life can be stressful and can cause panic or bad mental health. However, everything will be okay. Here are 10 tips on how to get through the Post Grad phase.

Gain a job as quickly as you can.

Sometimes we wait and wait for the perfect job out of fear of settling. However, bills will hit you like a truck. If you choose a job right out of college that isn't what you want to do with the rest of your life, that's okay. We often don't get our dream jobs right away but always know you can leave when you find that dream job. Just because you start a job doesn't mean you have to stay there forever.

Don't spend money for a while.

Tenor

This always sucks because there are a lot of things you want and shopping therapy is definitely a thing. However, you will thank yourself later. Take a couple months to just buy necessities only and lower going out to eat.

Move to a different view.

Tenor

This doesn't have to be moving a crazy amount away. It doesn't even have to be a different city or state. Moving to a different place after college makes you feel like you are getting a fresh start. This will get you in the headspace that you have a clean slate to start new. I do recommend moving states if you want to or can because it's always good to experience what you can.

Build a support team.

Wifflegif

Whether it is family or friends; it's aways good to have people you can ask for advice or just vent to. Most people have had to go through this phase of life or are going through it too.

Set intentions every week.

Gfycat

Make a to-do list every week. If you need to switch banks, license or to apply to a job everyday. This will keep you motivated and help with your procrastination.

Put a hobby on your to-do list.

Tenor

Always try to work on your hobby at least every week. Whether it's art, writing or reading. This is especially important if you are in your first job that you don't enjoy as much as you'd want to because you are still focusing on what you enjoy.

Mental health is the most important thing.

Tenor

If a job is messing with your mental health look for other jobs. It's okay to switch jobs and do what is best for you. Spend your time after work taking care of yourself. Meditate, take baths, exercise or work on your hobby. Keep a mood tracker to pay attention to it. I recommend Moodpath, it allows you to track your mood and asks you relevant questions.

Make a bucket list.

TravelEarth

Focusing on why you are working a full-time job is great motivation. Make a list of things you want to do or places you want to travel to. Then make plans to save money to get there. It will take time especially right after college.

Don't sell yourself short.

KappaDelta

Apply to jobs you think there is a possibility you won't get it. It can be disheartening when you aren't getting jobs or only getting ones that aren't your major. Keep on applying and keep looking. Still shoot for the top because you never know you could catch one of the companies eye. Just make sure your website or portfolio shows your best and shows you as a person as well. You don't only promote your work but also you promote yourself.

Be patient and climb the ladder.

Sometimes it doesn't feel like it but you have time. Especially just coming out of college; you are still young. Your time is not running out. Be patient, keep working hard, climb the ladder and eventually reach your goals. If you had to start with something that's not your major, don't give up. Know that it's a temporary job and keep on looking. Apply to jobs you want every week and keep building your portfolio and image. Breathe, you have time.

The way you get through the Post Grad phase is being smart and practical by still holding onto the dream and not giving up on it. Seniors, this is what to keep in mind but don't let it scare you; you got this. Fellow Post Grad's, I wish you luck and don't ever give up on your dreams. You can have your dream life even if you have to start at the bottom. The biggest reward will be that you got yourself there.