Why You Should Get Into Politics In Your Early 20's

Featuring Parks And Rec

271

All my childhood, I watched as my parents would turn on the nightly news and listen to adults drone on about problems that were seemingly unrelated to our small world. I saw no entertainment value in the drama of these strangers and their insuperable problems. I swore to myself that I would never become a boring adult who invested themselves in matters that could not be changed.

Two decades later I am now a political science major. Before declaring, I knew almost nothing about the most pressing issues facing our country. Possible viewpoints and solutions were all foreign ideas, difficult to grasp from my minute perspective of the world. And like most of my peers, I sat idly back and took a neutral standpoint when any of our more politically aware friends took to debating. I had thought that to not be aware was to have no responsibility and to be removed of possibly holding a wrong or offense viewpoint. But I soon learned that this could not be more wrong.

Issues that are currently being debated will affect us directly into our adulthood. We can no longer sit back and put responsibility on our parents to solve issues, when we will be the ones having to either reap the benefit of pay the costs. As most of us do not hold a full-time job, we are currently blessed with having at least some free time. This might not be a luxury we will have in adulthood. So why not use our time to set up the best possible future for ourselves?

You'll finally understand and have your own ideas on issues.

When asked about social issues, most college students can reiterate ideas from articles they’ve read on Facebook or opinions of comedy news show hosts. And while these ideas may not be wrong, it is important to have full understandings of topics.

You'll be able to debate.

And with this newfound understanding you will finally be able to join in on—and win—a few debates!

It's easy!

With access to information literally in the palm of our hands, we can brief ourselves on topics between classes or while waiting for the bus. Instead of mindlessly sharing cat videos, you’ll be becoming a more educated individual.

You'll seem smart.

Older generations often berate youth for having no interest in or knowledge of politics. As a 20-something fully aware of current social issues, older generations will take you more seriously. Being able to hold your own and have meaningful input in conversation will also make you appear smarter.

You'll become a more compassionate person with a broader perspective of the world.

Most importantly, learning about political and social issues will allow you the chance to grow. Learning and reflecting on issues that may not immediately cater to your own world allows for the development of compassion. This will also engenders sympathy as you learn these foreign struggles.