I Need To Keep Up With Politics So I Can Get More Comfortable Voting

"I need to step up to the plate and keep up with politics."

I will be completely honest: I never voted in an election since the day I turned 18. To be honest, I didn't think it was a big deal. Now that I am 23 and have grown to be wiser, I have to say that I now regret not voting in the past election, in which Donald Trump was elected our President.

Voting causes me huge anxiety to tell the truth but I also did not vote because I barely keep up with politics. I had no idea what Hilary Clinton had to offer or Trump because I just honestly did not care. I was worried about myself and not the fate of this country. I do not think I am selfish. I had a lot of stuff going on mentally, emotionally, and physically; voting was the last thing on my mind. However, seeing what has come about this past year with Trump as our President, I wish I had voted.

I will be honest again and say that I do not know a whole lot of what Trump has done so far. However, I have improved a little bit on trying to keep up on politics with the help of research, the television news, and the newspaper. It can be obvious that these news outlets have helped me and I am sure many others learn about what he has been doing, as their purposes are to expose news about the world.

I heard something about a wall Trump wants to put up in regard to immigration, which I thought was a bit odd. I viewed political cartoons about how he thinks climate change is a hoax. I also read about the transgender ban in the military occurrence which did startle me a bit. I recently just read something briefly in relation to a tax reform which has everyone running to get their taxes done before 2018. Overall, I need to read more and learn more about the issues/occurrences that have happened since Trump became President.

Perhaps my vote could have had an impact on the country. And I know I totally sound like an air-head right now because like I said, I barely know anything political going on in the world. But my goal is to try and keep up more with what is happening in the United States because now I realize that it does affect me. Whoever becomes President affects what happens to the citizens of the United States, which will affect me.

I know this article is short, but I do not know how I could possibly go into depth about the occurrences, because like I have repeatedly said, I barely know enough information about them. However, I am willing to learn.

I hope I gain the courage to vote in the next election and realize that my vote does have an impact. Most importantly for myself, I hope to keep up more with what is happening to our country, as it not only affects my life but all of the lives in America.