Political Incorrectness: An excuse for bigotry
Politics

After Roseanne's vulgar tweet and the resulting boot from ABC, one has to wonder how far people will go behind the guise of being "politically incorrect" in the age of Trump.

59

In January 2016, in one of the Republican debates on Fox Business, Donald Trump was asked if the backlash about his proposal of a Muslim ban had caused him to think of his proposal any further. His answer was greeted with relieved laughter and a loud applause from the crowd.

"No," answered Trump sternly. The crowd laughed. "No," again. "Look, we have to stop with political correctness, we have to get down to creating a country that is not going to have the kind of problems that we've had with people flying planes into the World Trade Centers, with the shootings in California, with all the problems all over the world."

The crowd clapped, and laughed as he spoke, sounding almost relieved to hear someone saying these things and not caring what many critics on social media were saying about his proposal. He continued, "I just left Indonesia: bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb."

What bombs was he talking about? Who knows? And was he actually in Indonesia? Probably not. The key term in this bigoted, xenophobia-ridden answer was the term 'political correctness.' This term was met with a very noticeable relief from the crowd, and seemingly gave Trump a free ticket to say whatever he wanted to on that stage. During that answer, Donald Trump turned Muslims into a laughing stock, and the crowd loved it. The crowd loved his attitude, they loved his backbone, and they loved his bigotry -- or to be more Trumpist -- political incorrectness. To call it racist or bigoted would of course mark me as the P.C. (Politically Correct) Police, and I would of course be cast down and labeled as a DNC spy perhaps working behind the scenes at MSNBC. I am the P.C. Police. I am not welcome in America. I am anti-American. I am shaming white people. I am anti-white. I might even be labeled a Muslim [see Barrack Obama (2008-2016)].

And so America has found itself in a pickle. Bigotry and racism is now wielded behind the guise of political incorrectness, and that term is worn like a badge of honor by so many Americans. Many wear it as a badge of courage and patriotism. What that is, in fact, is shrouded yet still profoundly clear white nationalism.

Ten months after that debate night, on November 9, I drove to my local Barnes and Noble bookstore, seeking some sort of soulful political book or essay to read and distract myself from the immense depression I felt knowing that America had allowed such a hateful and slimy figure head to come to power. A fellow sad American stood in the same aisle, wearing a Black Lives Matter pin on her blue denim jacket. She asked, "Are you here for the same reason as I am?" To which I responded, "Probably," and then laughed. She was visibly coming down from crying. I felt immense sadness and inexplicable disappointment in my country. I looked to the bottom shelf and discovered a yellow book and on the binding the word JIHAD in red. I pulled the book off the shelf and read the title: "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Jihad" by William Kilpatrick.

Cover of "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Jihad"William Kilpatrick

I stared at the cover for a solid few minutes before consulting a bookseller and asking why they were allowed to sell it. Not that a part time bookseller at Barnes and Noble would really know, I just needed someone else to see it. She agreed that it was repulsive, and that was enough for me. She's only human after all. I could only stand there and imagine how a Muslim American would feel if they came across this book. I wanted to vomit. Naturally, I stuffed the copy they had on display behind a random stack of books somewhere else in the store. By using the phrase "politically incorrect," William Kilpatrick was able to publish a clearly bigoted and repugnant book smearing the Islamic faith and stoking conspiracies about those who practice it.

What is most terrifying about this phenomenon of "political incorrectness" is that bigotry and racism are becoming so normalized in America to the point where "The Political Incorrect Guide to Jihad" is placed in the current affairs section of Barnes and Noble. There was a point in America, perhaps maybe just for a little while, when bigotry was afraid to come out into the public eye. However, in this era of Trump and his prime-time supporter Roseanne, the flood gates have been broken and bigotry is finding a home anywhere it wants to.

It is up to us to distinct what is crude humor on late night television and what is bigoted racism on a national and international stage.

What is encouraging is that these American bigots are filled with anger, and like Daenerys Targaryen always says on Game of Thrones, "Angry snakes lash out. It makes chopping their heads off that much easier."