Political Crush Alert: Justin Trudeau

Political Crush Alert: Justin Trudeau

Way hotter than Trump.

21
Political Crush Alert: Justin Trudeau
Christinne Muschi/Reuters

Last week, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau visited President Barack Obama with his family at the White House to discuss camaraderie between the two nations and climate change, conversing on a first-name basis. This was the first official visit from a Canadian leader in roughly 20 years, since the visit by Trudeau's father Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Prime Minister from 1968 to 1979 and again from 1980 to 1984, caused quite a stir when his wife wore a dress above knee-length.

The younger Trudeau has been garnering international attention since he won the election as head of the Liberal Party on October 19. The six-foot-two brunette with a careful trim to the left, sky-blue eyes, chiseled jaw, and somewhat muscular stature gained attention for exactly that: being handsome. A perfect Canadian D'Artagnan, one only hopes. Behind the charismatic exterior, he has already picked up on all the left-wing issues with which his father emphasized during his five-month reign, which had made him an even greater political sensation.

“Seriously, with his looks, heart and mind, he’s dreamy,” a senior Obama administration official told POLITICO. I do not blame the official; I might be completely swooning over a handsome politician myself. But in a world of President Putin—definitely not as charming—and possible President Trump, a gal cannot help but dream of a Trudeau.

Trudeau initially did not show much interest in politics, despite being from a Canadian "Kennedy-like" family. He attended McGill, Canada's most prestigious university, and even worked as a snowboarding instructor, a bouncer at a bar in British Columbia and a high school math teacher. In 2000, Trudeau gave a moving eulogy at his father's funeral and began his political career.

He had a challenging job to overshadow his father with his open, tolerant and progressive vision for the nation. Trudeau started off with appointing the most diverse Cabinet in the nation's history—one that "looks like Canada." He appointed 15 male and 15 female ministers "because it’s 2015.” The "proud feminist," which Trudeau shamelessly considers himself, also chose an Afghan refugee, two aboriginal ministers, and three Sikh politicians. Immediately, he became a social media darling who practiced a kind of politics that appealed to a huge online community. Trudeau even promised to attend Toronto's Pride Parade to offer his support for the community. He will be the first Canadian Prime Minister to have done so.

Through his position, Trudeau offered support to Syrian refugees, admitting a total of 25,000 people by March. He personally welcomed the first arrivals in December.

His intentions now are even more nationwide. Trudeau is working on legalizing marijuana in Canada, which might be hard with the strict anti-drug provisions there, but if he goes through with it, Montreal will get a ton of East Coast "tourists." His forward-thinking ideas give hope for a progressive, modern Canada.

Trudeau's government has already lowered taxes for the middle class and increased them for rich (ahem—c'mon, U.S.A.). His government plans to create a uniquely basic income system in which the government pays each citizen a certain amount of money per year.

During Trudeau's rendezvous with Obama, aside from the "fashion show," the two politicians agreed to join efforts to curb emissions of greenhouse gasses. “The president and I agree on many things including, of paramount importance, the direction we want to take our countries in order to ensure a clean and prosperous future,” Trudeau said, thanking the president for his leadership on climate change. “Canada and the U.S. will stand side by side to confront the pressing needs that face not only our two countries but the entire planet.” His visit puts the two nations on better terms than ever before.

Trudeau's ideas and actions are a rarity in the corrupt world of politics. Watch out world, you will be hearing from Canada soon. Canada's here to stay!

Gossip Note: The elder Trudeau was a man of drama and supposedly went out with the actress Kim Cattrall (who played Samantha in "Sex and the City").