Politeness Society Reaction Culture

Our Society Should Be Made Out Of Politeness Instead of Hatred Or Cruelty

Politeness is something that is important in our society. It should be present all the time, even though many people do not show it.

10
Unsplash / Tom Parsons

In the society we live in today, being polite is a large concept that has evolved into our existence. The commentary, like "How are you?" and "Nice to meet you!", have etched their way into always being at the tip of our tongue when we are speaking to one another. Even though there are many in this world who are unnecessarily rude, politeness should be a daily part of our lives simply due to the fact that it serves the greatest function of all. This function is the foundation of trust and other key factors in successful relationships, such as respectability and the sense of kindness.

Kindness is almost always the key to a good relationship because it allows the other person to know that you care about them. Take, for example, a sales employee for any business. Even though they are essentially obligated to be nice to the customer, the demeanor presented by many shows that they are genuinely being nice to the customer, while for others, it shows that they could care less about their customer.

The job of a sales representative requires them to say and inquire polite phrases, like "How are you?" and "Have a nice day!".

However, if they do not inquire this then the customer may feel unsatisfied, or even disrespected. On the other hand, if the sales representative does inquire the customer about their day, then the customer is happy, and they feel appreciated because now they know that someone cares about them enough to stop what they are doing and ask them. Since the representative asked them, the customer now knows that the store honestly cares about customer satisfaction and they are likely to come back to the store again.

I have seen this myself a couple of times with my parents. Whenever my parents go to Kroger or Walmart and do not know where something is, they ask the store representatives, and the store representative does not leave their side until my parents are satisfied and content with what they came to the store looking for. That is why they go there for groceries more often now. Yet, when my parents go to Sam's Club, the opposite happens, my parents do not like it there that much, and since the customer service was so bad one time, my parents do not even step foot in the store anymore. This simply goes to show how a little bit of kindness can go a long way.

Along with being polite in stores, the same goes for school. One's education is very important and as student's politeness and kindness are the first steps. Being polite with a teacher or administrator with this type of polite speech allows for a good student-teacher relationship to be built on respect and kindness. It shows them, that trouble and rudeness are not acts that are condoned by you. In addition, the student would be on the good side of the teacher, so the teacher would not mind helping in any way possible for success, like writing a recommendation, or staying after school or coming in before school to help. Moreover, by being polite to teachers and administrators, as a student, it is shown to them that you are not the only kind but also that you are respecting them, and you do not just take them for granted.

This has been proven and seen in many ways like in Matilda. The relationship between Ms. Honey and Matilda is a prime example of politeness at work. Ms. Honey is an amazing teacher who is kind and just like Matilda. Both of them are determined, polite, and everyone loves them, and Matilda is kind and polite like Ms. Honey as soon as they meet the hit it off. One prime example of how Matilda is polite to her teacher is when she goes to Ms. Honey's cottage, sees the condition of it and simply declares that she does not mind. Even though Matilda at that time could make fun of Ms. Honey and be rude she does not, which even more proves how polite language can go a long way with others.

However, there are also those who believe that polite words are not necessary in the world today. These types of people believe that by being mean and disrespectful they will get their way, and everything will work out for them. It may work for some, but for the majority, it would not. Take our president, for example, President Trump believes that by being corrosive and rude, everyone will start to respect him and love him. Nevertheless, that is in no way the case. It is not the case simply because that just causes others to get angrier and make the urge to revolt against him even stronger. If one were to think about that is essentially what happened with Michael Cohen.

Trump kept of using him, being rude to him, and telling him to do illegal actions which caused him to revolt from Trump's side to against him and in the process putting everything at risk. Consequently, all the allegations and statements that Cohen made are now being investigated because no one even trusts Trump enough to fight for him and claim that what Cohen is saying is false. Even with a tarnished record Cohen still managed to get Trump to look bad in front of others, and this caused him to basically prove that had Trump been politer to him, there could have been a chance that all of this would have not happened. Therefore, proving once again that the function of polite language is the foundation of a good relationship with those around you.

Though our president may never in his life learn his lesson, he does serve as a vital example of polite language being necessary in today's world. By being polite others want to help you and do not in any way feel obligated to. Store representatives show this just as well as students. Both know that if they are polite, then customers would be more willing to come back just as teachers would be more willing to help a student out. These relationships that are created on this foundation are the ones that last the longest and create the largest impact. The function of polite language is defined through all this. It is that polite language is the basis for everything and it is like the heartbeat of our society, and even though many, like our president, do not have that heartbeat, it should be developed.