Gotta Catch Em' ALL

Gotta Catch Em' ALL

Why the new Pokemon app Is something you need

1
Gotta Catch Em' ALL
Evan Owen

This week has been a super exciting week for me, along with many other video game fans. Why? Because the new Pokemon Go app was released this week! I'll admit that at first I was skeptical about this app and thought it wouldn't live up to any expectations I had for it. I grew up playing the Pokemon games, and watching the TV show, so I had a lot of concerns with the idea of a new game. My first thought was that this game would be targeted at younger children and would bore all of us 90s kids. I could not have been more wrong. I must say I am super proud of Pokemon with the release of this new app, and I know I'm not alone.

The goal of this game, along with the other Pokemon games, is to catch all the Pokemon. However this game uses your GPS to track your surroundings and find Pokemon near you. There are different Pokemon in different climates and countries, so you have to go new places to succeed at this game. Pokemon Go does a great job at mixing the virtual world with reality as well. You're out and about in the real world while still playing a game and interacting virtually. I personally have never seen an app do so well at creating this type of mix.

At the start of the game you get to customize your trainer, and choose your starter Pokemon. Then you are sent out into the world to find new Pokemon and fill your Pokedex. Along with finding Pokemon in the real world, you need to find Pokestops to get supplies. While playing this game you also have the ability to play against Gym Leaders, and other players, as well as choose to be a part of a team.

I think one of the main reasons this app is doing so well is because of it's target audience. For people my age, Pokemon is something we grew up with. Playing this game brought back some great memories from my childhood, and reminded me why I loved Pokemon so much as a kid. However this game is also creating new Pokemon fans who were never into the games or movies before hand. Having a rated E (for everyone) game that captures the interest of all ages has been the goal of many gaming companies. Pokemon has done a wonderful job of that with this new game.

I also don't think I have ever seen a phone app that gets as many people up and moving. While working as a camp counselor during the week, I constantly find myself wandering to new places and going the long way around to try and find Pokemon. On a recent visit to my college campus, I saw just about everyone walking around with their phones out hunting for Pokemon. So many games have tried to motivate people to get up and move, but I have never seen a video game do it as well as Pokemon Go. While wandering around town and shopping on the weekend, we always have our phones out searching for Pokemon. When we get close to a Pokemon or Pokestop, we park the car and walk till we find it. This game has definitely brought me to parts of town I had never been to before!

The sense of community this app brings has been super cool as well! We recently had a Pokemon Party at our schools prayer chapel where we set up lures and all sat around catching Pokemon together. The app doesn't only bring people together virtually, but in person as well. It was a fun way to meet new people who loved the game, and we have already set up new times to hang out and catch Pokemon together.

I think Pokemon Go has brought a new type of game to the virtual, and has brought something fun and easy to play to many people around the world. As someone who grew up on Pokemon, I could not be more proud of this new app and all that it does. I'm super excited to keep catching new Pokemon, and can't wait to see what the new updates Pokemon creates for this app.