Recently, I decided to go through my book collection, and I came across my old, worn copy of Shakespeare's famous play "Romeo and Juliet" that, truthfully, was a forced buy for school. With hesitance (as I originally didn't enjoy the play), I decided to give it another try, and I surprisingly found myself falling in love with it: the story line, the characters and their ultimate, eternal love story.

One line especially, where Romeo and Juliet are described as "star-crossed lovers" always stops me and causes me to reflect. The idea of a love written in the stars is something everyone tries to grab and hold onto, but to find one is extremely rare. To be "star-crossed" thus means to be thwarted in plans by the universe or simply, not meant to be. It inspired me to write this poem about the moon falling in love with the sun, but in the end, they also remain star-crossed lovers.

she was the sun.

more importantly,

she was my sun.

one that was fueled

by her own internal fire—

by her own drive, by her own spirit—

and could ignite the room

simply by her presence.

she was my sun.

but unfortunately,

she was the sun.

the same sun that rose when i slept

but slept when i woke

and brought light to an entire world

while i could only exist

in the darkness

of her absence.

and although our celestial bodies

could have never coexisted,

i found comfort in the fact that

we do share the same sky.

because although only half was mine,

half was hers,

as such my heart.

she was the sun; she was my sun.

but i could never

be hers.

Disclaimer: This is work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.