Poetry On Odyssey: The Dream Factory

Poetry On Odyssey: The Dream Factory

The Factory of Dreams / Manufactures Dreamers / For those who can / afford to dream.
193

A factory sits atop

A rolling emerald hill.

Olive green blades

Prod forth from the soil.

Elegant and ethereal

From the outside,

But on the inside

The Factory

Is nothing more

Than four cemented walls-

Gray, dull, and dead.

The entirety of the walls

Are shelved with

Crystal prisms

That house dreams.

Dreams of family,

of love,

of self.

The Factory of Dreams

Manufactures Dreamers

For those who can

afford to dream.

In the Department of Happiness,

A boy named Eislyn

Works laboriously

Lining crystal prisms

On the labyrinth of shelves.

His eyes are an unnatural lilac.

And in the world inside

Void of all color,

His eyes are nothing

Short of magic.

He’s sold all his dreams-

Just like the other Dreamers.

He's sold them all.

All but one.

The one about the Girl

Who works in the

Department of Storage and Confiscation.

Her eyes too

Are unwelcome

In this dull world.

Because the ember brown in them

Remind people of something

Called soil.

Soil that once gave life to

An entity known as trees.

And those trees

Are said to have bore fruit

The color of rubies.

Eislyn dreams of Her

Now and then.

He hasn’t let the Factory

Confiscate that dream

Yet.

He dreams to one day

Leave the factory

With Her.

And live in a world

Where Their dreams are

Entirely Their own.

And they don't have to

Put them up for sale

Just to feed themselves

And survive.

But that’s impossible.

He knows.

But today is the day

He plans on letting

The Girl

Confiscate His dream

Of Her.

And to store it

In a crystal prism

Where He will have

No right to it.

Where He’ll forget

The words

To describe the way

The light plays

In the shade

Of Her lashes.

He needs to do this

He knows.

This world has no place

For a Dreamer

Who Dreams

A Dream

That is entirely His own.

He walks down

A winding staircase.

Down, Down.

Adjusting his

Colorless, work overalls

Which lend no autonomy

To His personality.

But He has no need

For that sort of individuality.

His eyes reflect

His entire being in them.

Down, down.

He waits in a line

With the other Dreamers.

And finally

It’s His turn.

He sees her.

He lets Her extract the dream

Without so much as a sigh

Of discontent.

While She surveys and scans it-

He swears Her eyes

Seem a little brighter.

And for the first time,

She finally speaks.

Her voice as smooth

As nectar.

“Your name means 'Dream,'”

She whispers.

Of course, He knows that

His mother didn’t want

This for Him.

He nods.

She slips him the crystal prism.

“Then keep this.”

His hands fold over the prism

Confusedly.

Trembling.

As she restores His dream back.

Not to His heart alone

but to His mind too.

For a Dream

that is Dreamt

with the heart and mind

becomes a goal.

She deletes its existence

From the database.

And Eislyn walks away

Somehow knowing

That one day

He can break free

And quit this hell

Called the Dream Factory.

Cover Image Credit: Talon Moïse / Unsplash

Warcraft 3: Reforged - A legend returns

One of the top 100 games of the century makes a comeback in an epic way.

178

17 years ago, the legion invaded the realm of Azeroth, forcing the different races of Humans, Orcs, Night elves, and Undead to make the most unlikely of alliances. There were those who fought for the light while the others wished to banish it. Night and day, the furnaces of Lordaeron burnt bright as the loyal dwarves of Khaz Modan hammer away the swords and shields that would aid the fight ahead.

17 years ago, the young orc warchief Thrall foresaw the fate of his people as meteors of green flames crash upon his lands. He saw the upcoming demise of his clanand ordered a mass evacuation towards a new continent where they shall be safe for generations to come. 17 years ago, the night elves felt a corruption within the Tree of Life, causing them to split into opposing factions: one fought in the name of the Goddess, while the other fought in the name of personal hatred. 17 years ago, a legion of undead came upon the shores of Lordaeron, plaguing the land and defiling the life force of the realm. That was the story of Warcraft, one that spanned continents and races only to join them together for a crucial battle of their history.

Warcraft 3: Reforged - Cinematic Trailer Youtube

Warcraft was a monument to an entire gaming generation, ranked 2nd best game of all time by German games magazine "GameStar." Its fate, however, was ultimately sealed as computing technology became better and overshadowed the old giant. Plus, with the rise of gaming consoles and handheld gaming devices, PC gaming lost its appeal slowly, and games like Starcraft or Warcraft eventually faded into oblivion.

But over on the horizon, Blizzard Entertainment came to the rescue. Following the success of their previous release of Starcraft: Remastered, they decided to come forth with their next great project: remastering Warcraft 3.

Using a new and revamped engine built over the foundations of the old one, they have rebuilt the world we once loved. Adding to that are new, high definition voices and sound effects that they recorded just for this old game. For the blurry characters of old, the team decided to upscale and remodel all present units to give them the 2019 high-def treatment they deserved. For the old user interface (UI), the development team settled on one that resembled the "Starcraft: Remastered" interface, offering more room for players to look at the gorgeous 4K character models. Also, to fit the new continuity from World of Warcraft, Blizzard opted to alter the story by a small margin, showing promising changes to the revived game.

Warcraft 3 – Original vs. Reforged Trailer Graphics Comparison Youtube

However, not everyone was hyped when the game was announced. Many gamers expressed disappointment at Blizzard's move of remastering old games instead of developing new ones. Many, feeling uncomfortable at the company's decision, took to the internet and into forums. Some fans expressed concerns over Blizzard's decision to retcon a game they hold dear Some are unhappy with the graphics not being consistent with characters: unit models look too detailed while buildings look cartoonish.

Despite all this, the general population loved the announcement at Blizzcon. As the game slowly reaches its release date of December 31, 2019, the hype can only go up from here. For those of us who can't hold their excitement, here's a video of the crowd's insane reaction to the announcement:

Warcraft 3 Crowd Reaction Youtube