Poetry on Odyssey: Solidarity

Poetry on Odyssey: Solidarity

A reflection from my semester in Nicaragua

415

What are we?

We are names, we are races, we are social classes, we are genders, we are our careers,

But is that really who we are?

Look at your hands, look at your feet

think to yourself, how am I "me"

How is my soul so intricately woven into my body

Like vines wrapping around a tree inseparably

How does my pulsing blood tell a story,

of past generations and what is yet to be?

We it comes down to it,

that's who we are all

an essence with a shape

a mind with a heart.

Some eyes watch waging wars

others glance at online stores,

but most of us are not sure

just what God has in store.

What separates you from another person?

A title, a color, a paycheck, an arbitrary curtain?

The beauty of life is when our soul can trickle past

the borders of race, culture, and social class

to find the essence of another human

and see we are all after the same thing:

a life of peace, love, and harmony.

We may have to fight for others to truly be free.

And that fight for justice is found in solidarity.

Cover Image Credit:

Personal

12 Bible Verses For Faith In Hard Times

Remind yourself that God is always with you.
708434

Lately, I have felt lost at what God wants for my life. Ever since I've come back to UWG everything has been horrible. It seems that I can't catch a break. I'm trying my best to focus on school, work, and extracurricular activities. But it's hard when I'm having issues with my apartment/roommates and knowing my family back home is struggling and needs many prayers. All, I keep thinking is maybe Carrollton isn't where I belong anymore. I've asked God if He can guide me in the right direction. Below, I have found Bible verses that have helped get me through these rough, past couple of weeks.

1. Isaiah 43:2

"When you go through deep waters, I will be with you."

2. Psalm 37:5

"Commit your way to the Lord. Trust in Him, and He will act."

3. Romans 8:18

"The pain that you've been feeling, can't compare to the joy that's coming."

4. Proverbs 31:25

"She is clothed in strength, and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future."

5. Joshua 1:9

"Be bold. Be brave. Be courageous."

6. Ecclesiastes 3:1

"There is a time for everything and a reason for every activity under the heavens."

7. Isaiah 41:10

"Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand."

8. Isaiah 66:9

"I will not cause pain without allowing something new to be born, says the Lord."

9. Psalm 91:4

"He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings, you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."

10. Psalm 62:1-2

"My soul finds rest in God alone, my salvation comes from Him, He alone is my rock and my salvation."

11. Philippians 4:13

"I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength."

12. Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."