Poetry on Odyssey: Pause or Play?

Poetry on Odyssey: Pause or Play?

As time moves, life gets easier, the choices become clearer.
177

“You can't stop the future
You can't rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
...is to press play.”
-Jay Asher, Thirteen Reasons Why

When I first read “13 Reasons Why” five years ago, I remember not understanding why Hannah would want to end her life, I mean she was almost a grown up and eventually she could leave and not have to go back and ever have to see any of those people unless she chose to. But, then I got to the end of the book and I understood a little more. Then I became a teenager and I guess now I am an adult and I can see, for the most part, why Hannah chose the path that she did. I have wanted to at least slow things down a little.

Pause

There are times in life where everything is going back too fast.

So fast that you can’t keep up.

You just want to pause.

Stop everything where it is.

Slow down the deadline.

Keep your little brother little.

And at times…

just

stop

moving.

Play

We can’t stop life.

To survive, you must be a shark.

Keep moving.

I know it is hard.

The pause button is just sitting there.

It's taunting you.

But you gotta keep going.

If you’re feeling a little brave, maybe even fast forward.

But to start

You must press play.

As children, all we want in life is to be older. To have the authority to make choices for ourselves, like have ice cream for breakfast or stay up all night watching Scooby Doo. Little did we know that along with all the fun things were all the harder choices, like whether to keep going or not. I know it may be hard right now but, as time moves, life gets easier, the choices become clearer, so keep going. There is always a rainbow at the end of a storm.

If you have been having suicidal thoughts or think a loved one may be, call 1-800-273-8255 or click here to go to their website.