Poetry On Odyssey: "Always Askew"

Poetry On Odyssey: "Always Askew"

A poem about unattainable perfection.

Brushed them until they bled,

Drank salt water swallowed the red,

Punctured all the words he said,

Stitched lips to the mind, needle and thread,

It will be done again, grooming,

A nip and tuck by his will,

A Burning of the frayed edges,

And it's never finished...

Cover Image Credit: Flickr

How To Talk About Things And Actually Get Somewhere While Doing So

If you are discussing an issue, the root of the conversation should not come from your individual stance, but the possibility of many others and how those stances interact with one another.

Without hesitation, it is easy to notice and point out the flaws within today’s methods of communication. Often, discussion falls into pure argument, debate falls into heated intolerance, open-mindedness turns to blatant ignorance. A world that pushed acceptance and new ideas fell into a pit of toxic individuality; to the point where discussion becomes void.

FIrst of all, individuality in itself is not toxic. Each and every human being has the right to their own voice and their own views on the world. However, it is when those views become completely closed off, completely isolated, that the individuality builds tall enough walls so that the whole world cannot shout over them. But that’s what walls do, they create complication. Everyone seems to be surrounded by a huge individual brick wall, and everyone is trying to scream over each other's barriers. Though, that method is failing because unfortunately, no one can hear through brick walls.

Too often it happens that a group of individuals will begin a discussion, and inevitably, it’ll fall to heated argument and anger. One party will talk over the other, only inspiring the other to do the same. This creates a poisonous cycle that never fails to end in destruction or worse, in the same place it began.

Because discussion is not just about you. If you are discussing an issue, the root of the conversation should not come from your individual stance, but the possibility of many others and how those stances interact with one another. Once you enter a discussion with an open mind and you continue on that way, it is guaranteed that that discussion will end in a very different place than it began.

Furthermore, it becomes a matter of listening. Listen, because if you do not, the opposite party will not do so either. Republicans and Democrats immediately dismiss the ideas and moralities of their opponents; forgetting that it is when those sides can work together that they can make progress. There is always another side to an argument, another suggestion, another claim. However, listening is not agreeing; listening is consideration. Therefore, it should not be thrown into the dust.

It takes a lot of energy to open up to different ideas despite the possibility that they might seem obscene or plan immoral. Some human beings, undeniably, are very prejudice and closed-minded. This needs to be addressed, obviously, but since when should you fight fire with fire?

It’s time for the world to start a habit of consideration. Otherwise, we’re all just dragging around our brick walls, forgetting to see the world.