Poetry On The Odyssey: To My Mom

Poetry On The Odyssey: To My Mom

A poem for Mother's Day.
65

To my mom:

You brought me into this world,

Welcoming me with tears of joy.

You fed me when I was hungry,

Held me when I cried,

And rocked me to sleep each night.

You were my world.

I became yours.

To my mom:

You held my hands as I took my first steps,

Following me with a smile.

You picked me up whenever I fell,

Hugged me when I cried,

And guided me along a path to safety.

You were my protection.

I was yours.

To my mom:

You were there the day I rode my bike without training wheels,

Watching with a nervous face.

You bandaged my knees when I scraped them,

Held me when I cried,

And gave me the courage to try again.

You were my motivation.

I was yours.

To my mom:

You stood with me at the kindergarten bus stop,

Both of us full of excitement.

You gave me a hug before I climbed the steps,

Holding me close as a tear ran down your cheek,

And waved to me through the window as the bus drove away.

You were going to be waiting for me when I got home.

I was yours.

To my mom:

You drove me wherever I needed to go,

Even if it was inconvenient, you were patient.

You made sure I wore my seat belt,

Held me across my chest if you had to slam on the brakes,

And made sure I had a ride home.

You said you loved me as I climbed out the door.

I was yours.

To my mom:

You sat by my bedside when I was sick,

Staying calm even though you were full of fear.

You fed me even though I didn't want to eat,

Hugged me as we both cried,

And talked me through my insanity.

You supported me.

I was yours.

To my mom:

You stood by me in my battle for health,

Full of determination.

You made sure I did what needed to be done,

Held me as I cried when things got hard,

And encouraged me to keep fighting.

You never gave up on me.

I was yours.

To my mom:

You were there the day I received my high school diploma,

Watching proudly from the bleachers.

You made sure I was successful in classes,

Listened to my cry when people were me,

And reassured me of my strength.

You were the reason I survived high school.

I was yours.

To my mom:

You helped me move into my dorm room,

Both of us filled with nervous excitement.

You made my bed with "tight corners,"

Hugged me as we both cried,

And told me to call if I needed anything.

You weren't going to be here every day anymore.

But I was still yours.

To my mom:

You are always here when I need to talk to you,

Your ears always open to listening.

You give me advice to work through things,

Hold me when I need a shoulder to cry on,

And make sure I never lose motivation.

You tell me you love me.

I am yours. And I love you.

Happy Mother's Day

Cover Image Credit: Lauren Burkholder

19 Struggles Only Girls With The 'Looks Thin In Clothes But Not In A Bikini' Body Type Will Understand

A resounding 'thank you' to whoever decided one-pieces were cool again.
51472

We grew up thinking the world was black and white. There's tall people and short people. There's old people and young people.

There's fat people and skinny people.

But as you get older, you realize there is a lot more in between those two ends of the spectrum than you ever thought possible. Especially when it comes to weight. And you do a lot more realizing if you're in an awkward position on that scale... Literally.

1. People always tell you to stop saying you are fat

Obviously, your friends SHOULD prevent you from talking negatively about yourself. And if you only saw you when you were fully dressed, you'd probably tell yourself to stop saying you're fat, too.

2. And are kind of surprised by your actual weight

You've definitely had friends who are shocked by the number on your scale because you can carry it pretty well when you are fully dressed.

3. Sometimes you feel like a catfish

Have you ever changed out of your super cute, flattering outfit and looked at yourself in the mirror and thought... Wow, am I lying to people?

4. But you know this is probably true for most people

When you're wearing clothes, typically the parts of a body that bring about insecurities (stomach, namely) are covered. No matter the body type, you realize most people are more comfortable in clothes than out of them.

5. Your confidence is often contingent on the month

November? Yep, won't need to be in shorts or a bikini for about 7-8 months. I am good to go.

February? I'll need to be in a bikini soon.. I could use some work.

6. You are thrilled by the one-piece bathing suit making a fashion come back

A resounding 'thank you' to whoever decided it was time to give one-pieces a try again. The stomachs of us in-between gals are appreciative.

7. Crop tops are 95% of the time not your top of choice

Yeah, okay, clothes are supposed to work for me and not against me.

8. You honestly don't understand jean sizes

I have fluctuated in weight a lot of my life, most recently losing 25lbs, and I still did not budge in jean sizes.

9. You wonder what other people think when they see you

Do other people see me as thin in clothing? Or fat in a bikini? What size am I perceived as?

10. Shopping is kind of a nightmare

Have you ever found about 27 items you liked, added the prices and thought, ah, it is going to be so tough to choose from all of these items? Only to go into the fitting room and realize only 2 of the items fit you well? Yep, me every single time I go to the store.

SEE ALSO: 7 Struggles Of Being The Girl Who Is "Not Skinny" But Also "Not Fat"

11. You're thankful that at least you've got boobs

You can kind of hide them in clothes, and then let them steal the show away from your tummy in a swimsuit.

12. You have a hard time setting weight-loss goals

You aren't really sure how overweight you are (if you are, at all) and you don't want to be at an unhealthy weight on either side of the spectrum.

13. Body positivity comes and goes

There are days, weeks or even months when you feel like the most beautiful person on the planet, and then something happens (old jeans don't fit, you try on a new bathing suit, etc.) and you convince yourself that all of that confidence was wrong and undeserved.

14. You always try on the biggest size first

Either this or you're in a weird limbo between the smallest plus sizes size and the biggest generic sizes size.

15. Half of you knows every body is a bikini body, and half of you is convinced that yours is not

You know that your body is worthy of wearing whatever you want to wear, but looking at yourself and seeing what society (and you) sometimes deem as unattractive can eat away at that knowledge.

16. But you also know self-love and confidence are key to beauty

Even if you have to fake it, you know that feeling confident is going to carry you pretty far.

17. Being in a bathing suit is a constant game of readjustment

Okay, I am sitting. Pull the bottoms up to cover as much as my stomach as possible and the back of the top down to cover any back rolls.

18. You've avoided the mirror after a shower before

You know that you are just going to lose all the comfort you felt in your body during the day when you see yourself, so sometimes it is best to just avoid it.

19. Ultimately, you know your beauty is not contingent on what you are wearing

The goal for everyone should be to get to a point where it doesn't matter if you're in a snowsuit, a bathing suit or a birthday suit... You can see your beauty no matter what and feel confident despite what you have on. It'll take time, but falling in love with the way you look is worth it.