5 Podcasts Every Podcast Junky Should Know About
Lifestyles

Music Is Out and Podcasts Are In: Here Are 5 You Need To Tune Into

If you aren't listening to podcasts, what are you doing?

69

If you're anything like me there are a few times when you are actually sitting down and watching TV or reading a book because let's face it… you've got other things to do. Of course, even if you spend your time doing homework, commuting, walking from class to class or from your apartment to campus, there's a decent amount of time in which you can't intently watch a video, but you can listen to a podcast. I find listening to podcasts is much more entertaining than listening to music. Any time I have a long walk or lengthy drive, listening to podcasts helps pass the time.

So, if you're like I was a few months ago, you're probably thinking, "Where do I start? There are so many podcasts!" Here are just a few suggestions for fantastic starter podcasts.

Eerie:​ ​​"And That’s Why We Drink"

I discovered this podcast about two months ago and have listened to nearly two years worth of episodes during this time. Christine and Em, the hosts of the podcast, sit down each week and bring one paranormal and one true crime story. The chemistry between the two hosts, the inside jokes, and the creepily interesting and well-researched stories make this podcast one of the best in the comedy genre. Also, maybe save this one for the daytime… it can get a bit creepy at night.

Comedic: "My Dad Wrote A Porno"

Before you dismiss this one because of its racy title, you need to listen to the first episode. It will have you HOOKED. Jamie, James, and Alice are three friends who sit down to read Jamie's dad's (Rocky Flintstone) self-published porno. The story follows a young woman named Belinda, and her role in the pots and pans industry. Not only is the writing by Rocky laughable, by the reactions of the hosts take his words to a whole new level. Be prepared to pee yourself laughing.

Genuine: "Ear Biscuits"

"Ear Biscuits" is brought to you by the dynamic internet due Rhett and Link — friends since first grade — who have a show on YouTube called "Good Mythical Morning." There are multiple seasons with many different subject matters from episode to episode. Their ability to open up about their long-lasting friendship as well as humble beginnings in North Carolina helped to create a fun and creative environment in which the two friends can engage in a "candid weekly conversation for your Internetainment."

Informative: "No Such Thing As A Fish"

Have you ever wanted to learn something new each week? Or even four new things every week? In "No Such Thing As A Fish," some employees at the QI offices in England sit down and discuss what interesting thing they discovered that week. Dan, Andy, James, and Ana take turns sharing their most interesting facts.

Dramatic: "36 Questions"

If you're in the mood for a dramatic podcast, "36 Questions" follow the tumultuous relationship of Jace and Judith and attempt to answer the question "Can love prevail despite significant issues in a relationship?" It is not a true story, but rather a musical without the visual aspect.

All in all, you can't go wrong with a podcast in my opinion. Each one is unique and interesting in its own way. Next time you're walking through campus or stuck in traffic, I urge you to listen to a podcast instead of mindlessly listening to music.