Political Podcasts

‘pod save america’ helped me find my Political voice

When misinformation and ignorance are as widespread as disease, ‘Pod Save America’ acts as a beacon of hope for those lost in the political realm.

170

For those of us who did not start interning for local political leaders straight from the cradle, the world of politics can often be a confusing one. As the 2016 election came and passed, I found myself lost in the constant barrage of news updates. It was difficult for me to advocate for my beliefs when I couldn't even understand the policies affecting them. It was during a six-hour drive to Pittsburgh when I was finally able to enlighten myself through the well informed, albeit hilarious, discussions of four former aides to President Obama.

"Pod Save America" is one of 10 podcasts created under Crooked Media, a company founded by Jon Favreau, Jon Lovett, and Tommy Vietor, who coincidentally also act as hosts on "Pod Save America." They hold no punches when discussing current events and their willingness to speak their minds is what turned me into a friend of the pod. For the past two years, I have been tuning in to listen to their rantings twice a week. I found myself engaged in current events. I wanted to be able to make a difference, no matter how small.

When I was younger, I was always told that politics and religion were two topics that should not be discussed in public spaces. "Pod Save America" burned those thoughts away. Each week the hosts encouraged discussions and debates. Even if I don't always agree with someone else's opinions, debates with my friends and among classmates helped me to articulate my beliefs.

"Pod Save America" guided me to find my true passion for politics. I found myself wanting to watch the news rather than remaining ignorant like I had before. With the encouragement of the podcast, I registered to vote and began researching ways to advocate for what I believed in. The podcast even helped me in making my decision to come to George Washington University as I knew that if I wanted to act on my newly founded political voice, I would need a starting place for my ventures and there's no better place than D.C.

"Pod Save America" is a great starting place for anyone looking to enter the political sphere, or even just to stay informed on the current goings of the United States. While not everyone will fall in love with the podcast, I will always appreciate it for helping me find myself.