The Plight Of A Division III Student-Athlete At F&M

It's already hard enough being a varsity athlete, why are they making it harder?

68
Moviespix

"Many studies show that the more types of talent and perspective and experience on which we construct into our teams—the more diversity—the better." This is a direct quote from F&M College President Daniel Porterfield's 2015 convocation speech given Sept. 1, praising the idea of intellectual, spiritual, and moral diversity within a group; how every group needs diversity to reach its full potential. While many groups on this campus have a large amount of diversity, one group is slowly limiting the diversity so often praised by this fine institution. That group, probably the single largest subgroup within the college, is F&M athletics.

One of the chief recruitment techniques for all teams on campus is the classic "scholar-athlete" speech, where a coach brags how members of the team can be successful on the field and in the classroom, while also having the feasible option to be heavily involved in the school paper, hold leading positions in student government, all while being a part of Greek Life. This is also heavily promoted on the NCAA's page regarding Division III athletics, with quotes such as "The Division III experience offers participation in a competitive athletic environment that pushes student-athletes to excel on the field and build upon their potential by tackling new challenges across campus." It goes on to say, "Participants are integrated on campus and treated like all other members of the student body, keeping them focused on being a student first."

However, once you become a member of the respective team, it is evident that this is an idea that is so grossly blown out of proportion that it might as well not even be said. Several teams actively bar athletes from holding captain's positions if they are holding other leadership positions on campus. Additionally, even more teams either partially or fully bar athletes from joining fraternities or sororities on campus with the risk of being dismissed from the team, simply for just joining! This directly goes against the nature of Division III athletics as defined by the NCAA. By not giving student-athletes the option to hold positions or join Greek life, this is inherently withholding them from having the same opportunities as the rest of the student body.

But even for teams that don't have explicit rules barring student-athletes from participating in outside extra-curricular activities, the time requirement keeps them from doing anything other than sports. A rule oftentimes abused is the NCAA Division III rule of not allowing more than 20 hours a week of practice and one designated day off a week. Many teams drive right up to the cusp of 20 hours, and this excludes meets, games, and tournaments. In addition, they offer optional "captain's practices" that go over hours or take place on days free of practice. They may be labeled as optional, but oftentimes the coaches are still very aware of who comes to the practices. Would you choose not to go to an "optional" practice in this situation? Most don't, and this is a huge inhibitor to those who wish to pursue other activities on campus. As one anonymous F&M student-athlete says, "The spoken policy of student-athlete is impossible. Maybe if there were 30 hours in a day. Most days, I wake up at 6:30 a.m. and don't see my room again until 10 or 11 at night, which doesn't depend on if I finished my work, but for the sake of my sanity."

This is not a problem pertaining strictly to F&M. The most frequent excuse I've heard from the athletic department's staff, coaches, and coordinators alike is, "Well, XYZ College/University is doing this, and they're Division III, too." When has this ever been an appropriate excuse for any behavior? To apply my mother's favorite idiom, if XYZ College/University had their student-athletes jump off a bridge, would you make us do that as well? After speaking with athletes from other Division III schools of similar athletic and academic caliber, it seems that more and more teams are in support of harsh practice schedules and barring student-athletes from participating in outside clubs and groups. From soccer to cross-country to baseball, many athletes are finding it harder to balance their school schedule and their extra-curricular passions when participating in Division III sports. As another weary Division III athlete puts it: "Athletics, to me, is the destresser that causes my stress."

It simply comes down to this: Division III student-athletes at F&M are starting to feel more like athlete-students. In Division III, athletes should be treated like all other students, having the same opportunities and options that non-athletes have. Division III athletics should not bar or dominate over students from participating in student life and academics; rather, it should serve to enhance the overall experience. Without this, we are simply Division I athletes without the scholarship money.