A Playlist From The iPod Of A Middle School Fangirl In 2013

Before I hop into the playlist, here is my small ascension to a teensy soapbox.

As a former child, I have the expertise to say that everyone, (boys, girls, and all in between), is unbearable in middle school, myself being the textbook example. Hormonal transformations compel us to latch on to topics and hobbies, obsessively. When girls went through this fixation phase, the name for it was 'fangirling', which was a common discourse in which men trivialize the interests and tastes of young women. My usage of the word is not out of patronizing internalized misogyny but a connotative linguistic choice to lean into Tumblr-nostalgia and give you an idea of my personality at 12 years old. That said, let's crank up our moms' radios and relive the (acne-gilded) golden days.

1. "Best Song Ever" - One Direction

2. "Locked Out Of Heaven" - Bruno Mars

3. "We Can't Stop" - Miley Cyrus

4. "The Way" - Ariana Grande feat. Mac Miller

5. "Wings" - Little Mix

6. "Lego House" - Ed Sheeran

7. "Stay" - Rihanna feat. Mikky Ekko

8. "Come & Get It" - Selena Gomez

9. "505" - Arctic Monkeys

10. "Die Young" - Kesha

11. "Beside You" - 5 Seconds of Summer

12. "One Way Or Another" - One Direction

13. "Sweater Weather" - The Neighborhood

14. "It's Time" - Imagine Dragons

15. "Red" - Taylor Swift

16. "Tennis Court" - Lorde

17. "Holy Grail" - Jay-Z feat. Justin Timberlake

18. "Still Into You" - Paramore

19. "House of Gold" - Twenty One Pilots

20. "Collar Full" - Panic! At The Disco

21. "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)" - Fall Out Boy

22. "Story Of My Life" - One Direction

23. "How To Be A Heartbreaker" - Marina and the Diamonds

24. "Bad Blood" - Bastille

25. "A-Punk" - Vampire Weekend

26. "Video Games" - Lana Del Rey

From Your Site Articles