Plant-Based Diets

Yes I Am Plant-Based And Yes I Still Get All Of My Nutrients

Not only do plant-based diets still offer all of the nutrients your body needs, but they do so in the absence of the harmful effects of meat.

46

Plant-based diets have become somewhat of a "trend" in the last couple of years, and the attention these lifestyles are getting comes with a certain amount of criticism.

People seem to really enjoy jumping to the conclusion that living a plant-based life means you are depriving your body of nutrients that you normally would get from consuming meat, but this really is not the case. In fact, it is far from it.

For me, choosing a plant-based diet was something of a process, and it was years before I started to actually take it seriously. It was years before I did all of the research I really needed to and learned the proper way to be plant-based. I do not eat meat, I avoid eggs as often as possible, and I eliminated animal milk from my diet a while ago. Quite frankly, animal milk always left me feeling heavy and... gross, to put it simply, and that's a pretty fair thing to say when you consider exactly what you are drinking. Cheese isn't even something that I regularly consume, and I would ultimately like to cut dairy out completely, because when it comes down to it, it just is not necessary, and I don't see the need to contribute to such a harmful industry when plant-based alternatives exist that are better for you and for the planet.

Along with the fact that being plant-based does still properly nourish your body, this nourishment does not go hand in hand with high cholesterol, blood pressure, and risk of heart disease in the way that meat-heavy diets do. That being said, let's get into the specifics.

Protein is probably the most common thing that vegetarians and vegans are called out for, and it is a common misconception that being plant-based makes it impossible for you to reach your necessary protein intake. It can be more difficult to do so, yes, but it is nowhere near impossible. Lentils, such as kidney beans and chickpeas, are an excellent source of plant protein, as are peanuts and tofu. Eating two to three servings of these types of foods in a day guarantees you will be providing your body with enough protein, and though that may sound like a lot, serving sizes of legumes are generally quite small, tending to range from 1/4 to 1/2 cup.

Iron and zinc are two nutrients which many people are deficient in, regardless of dietary choices regarding meat. With plant-based diets, it is important to consider that the iron found in foods such as beans and whole grains is bound to phytate compounds, and these inhibit absorption of the nutrient. In order to counteract this effect, vitamin C should be included as often as possible, as this can break the link between iron and phytate. Whole grains are also a good source of zinc, along with legumes, nuts, and seeds, but again vitamin C must be incorporated, as zinc, too, is bound to phytate compounds.

Vitamin A is a relatively easy nutrient to keep tabs on, like dark leafy vegetables, sweet potatoes, and carrots are all fantastic sources, and one or two servings of these will provide sufficient amounts of the vitamin.

Omega 3 fats can be found in ground flaxseed, walnuts, chia seeds, and canola oil, and you can meet your body's need for these by eating only four walnuts, two teaspoons of chia seeds, or a tablespoon of ground flaxseed. Ultimately, it is not difficult to meet this nutritional need.

While we are on the topic of healthy fats, almonds, pecans, and cashews can reduce the risk of heart disease, and soyfoods can reduce the risk of cancer, as they are rich in isoflavones. Considering this, it goes without saying that plant-based fats are simply healthier than animal fats. It really is that simple.

Calcium intake can be difficult, but fortified plant milk, kale, and almond butter can easily be incorporated into a plant-based diet and will give you the calcium you need.

Vitamin B12 is possibly the biggest struggle posed by plant-based diets, as it is generally not present in plant foods, and is naturally found in animal foods. Nutritional yeast can be a good source, but the most reliable option is to just take b12 supplements if you are vegan or nearly vegan.

Vitamin D can also be difficult, and supplements may ultimately be the best bet. Actually, vitamin D supplements are useful for anyone, regardless of what diet they choose to follow, especially in the winter, as this vitamin is from sun exposure.

So there you have it. I have never understood why some people look down on and shame those who follow plant-based diets, and it isn't something I will ever understand. Being plant-based is extremely beneficial, especially when you do it right. All it takes is some research, time, and honestly, dedication. If you try to take on a plant-based diet for the wrong reasons, you will find yourself disappointed and probably vitamin deficient. If you go into it with the right mindset, however, and do your research, it will be much more rewarding than inconvenient.

The payoff is certainly worth it, and since I began my transition into a plant-based lifestyle, both my body and mind are much more at peace.