You Career Plans May Change But Don't Let That Scare You

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life” – Confucius
1

The feeling of having plans change can either have a positive or negative effect on your life. I recently had a major change, my college major. My plan for the longest time was to major in Therapeutic Recreation. This plan lasted me all throughout high school and I was so excited to learn and experience what I thought I wanted to do.

But to find out that while I’m at school this wasn’t for me, I was blown away.

I first learned about what I wanted to do from my Abnormal Psychology class. My professor was talking about this class she is teaching next semester, it had nothing to do with my current major, so I was bummed. Because if I took that class, it would be considered an elective. After doing more research on my major, I slowly started to realize that this wasn’t for me.

Until I found something completely new: Occupational Therapy.

When I found out what I wanted to do, I was scared because I knew this made me happier than my original plan did. I did some more research, and realized in order to start my new path I needed to change my major to Psychology and then after graduation receive a Master’s Degree in Occupational Therapy. My new plan is something I’m even more excited about, because it is something I know I can do and work towards. Even though it is not what I expected or intended, that does not mean I can’t do it.

The point of this article is to say to college students who are second-guessing their major, do research. If you are majoring in business but have a desire to be a nurse, then do that! It is not easy to work at a job and to not enjoy it, especially if it’s your career. When you work at a place or in a field that you enjoy, you will feel better. Also, if your plan was something else but it changed because you realized you did not like it, that’s okay, too. College is a learning experience in itself; you really discover what you want to do just by taking classes that may interest you.

My experience with this change was scary. I was actually angry at myself for counting on something. Currently, I’m not mad at myself and for those who are going through what I did, you will feel better about it. When you study, graduate, and experience the field you are in and actually enjoy it, you will feel good about it. The future is yours, so take it into you hands and know what you are going to do with it - or else you will live your life just never knowing.