Planned Parenthood: Under Attack?

Planned Parenthood: Under Attack?

With the recent presence of Planned Parenthood in the news, are we seeing an attack on women, or simply politics?

20
Planned Parenthood: Under Attack?

If you pay even the slightest bit of attention to the news lately, you may have seen recent headlines in relation to Planned Parenthood. With a recent spending bill seeking to cut funds to the program, as well as a controversial video that was later found to be edited, Planned Parenthood appears to be under attack.

According to its website, Planned Parenthood “is the nation's leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable health care,” serving an average of 2.7 million women and men every year. Through community outreach programs, Planned Parenthood acts as a source for people searching for safe, reliable, and affordable health care.

Now while this may seem like something individuals should admire, the idea that women, who may not have a place to go when it comes to health care issues have somewhat of a safe haven, Planned Parenthood is constantly under attack. In the landmark case of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court held that a women’s decision to have an abortion, whether it be for personal or medical reasons, is protected under the 14th Amendment’s due process clause. However, women who choose to have abortions, no matter for what reason they may be, are sometimes judged by society, hiding in shame to admit something that can greatly affect the women’s psyche.

Constantly, activists working to protect Planned Parenthood, or similar interests, are attacked for standing up for something they believe in, while those women, and even men, who have visited, received help from, or have even utilized the services offered by Planned Parenthood sometimes feel the need to hide their experiences.

One wonders what would happen if those millions of individuals who have visited a Planned Parenthood Center stood with Planned Parenthood. Yes, the most recent attack, in terms of the proposed Senate bill that would cut funding earlier this month, sponsored by Senator Rand Paul, was defeated. However, this does not mean the fight against Planned Parenthood is over. Numerous Republican Presidential candidates have spoken against the organization, including Dr. Ben Carson and, currently the only woman on the republican ticket, Carly Fiorina. While on the other side, Democratic nominees Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders agree upon the fact that a woman’s right to choose is vital, this fight is far from over.

Planned Parenthood, as well as organizations that offer abortions or health care options to women, are not yet in the clear. Now while it is unrealistically to demand women to come forward and tell their stories, it would be ideal to lift the negative stigma that appears to surround Planned Parenthood.