Newsflash: Planned Parenthood Is More Than Just Abortions

Mind your own uterus, please.

58
Ted Soqui/Corbis via Getty Images

Inauguration Day happened and the United States is once more in a uproar over Donald Trump. I dislike our President, but yes, I am hopeful. But over the past couple of days, I have seen comments and fights that are just as disrespectful towards fellow citizens as they were a few months ago when Trump won. A father disrespecting a teenager over her beliefs, a peer disrespecting another peer over their beliefs. You don't need to post a bunch of pictures saying "Yes, Trump is your president." PEOPLE KNOW, EVERYONE KNOWS. On the other hand, you don't need to be posting pictures or comments bashing Donald Trumps' ten-year-old son, Barron. I'm very disappointed in what I see online. But I'm not here to rant about this. I already did that once.

I saw amazing photos from the Women's March. I heard incredible speeches and I wish I was a part of this movement. I've heard many people ask why this march was even happening. People have different reasons for this march, but one of the main reasons was because of Planned Parenthood. I just read that Donald Trump is signing an executive order to defund international Planned Parenthood. This is a major problem and a HUGE reason why this march happened.

I love Planned Parenthood. I have never used their services but I know people who have and I know it's always there if I need to use any of their services.

Planned Parenthood is not just for abortions. Donald Trump has said multiple times that he is pro-life. Great, whatever, believe in what you want but defunding an organization that is so crucial to women and even men is disgusting. 3% of ALL Planned Parenthood is abortion services. 3%!!!!! Trump is aware of this fact and IS STILL going to defund it.

Abortions are NOT just for aborting the baby because someone didn't use protection. Abortions are done for numerous reasons that no one can comment on unless they have gone through it. In circumstances like rape, abusive marriage, the mother is at a very high risk of death or another health issue, the baby is at a very high risk of a health issue that are very dangerous. Many abortions are not done two days before the baby is due. That's rare. Many are done in the first couple of weeks before it's even an embryo. There are multiple reasons people have abortions and many are for an awful circumstance.

Planned Parenthood is known for its health services for women and men. Here's some facts from Planned Parenthood's website.

There's about 650 health centers throughout the United States. These centers provide services to so many women, men and teens!

2.5 million women and men visit Planned Parenthood annually for trusted health care services and information.

It's not just a place for teens that had unprotected sex! Many believe that but 84% of their patients in the United States are 20 and older.

1 in 5 women in the United States has visited a center at least once in their lifetime.

80% of the patients receive services to prevent unintended pregnancy. They help prevent around 579,000 unintended pregnancies in a year. Many girls get their birth control from here. Whether it's an IUD or pills, or whatever kind you take! For reasons of not being able to afford it through their doctors, not wanting their parents to know, their parents not letting them receive it, etc. Many women and men get their condoms from here as well.

They provide more than 270,000 Pap tests in a year. Pap tests are so, so important to women and many can't afford them.

They do more than 360,000 breast exams each year. Women need breast exams because in the worst case scenario, you have a lump and need to be aware of it. If you're not, it could be cancer and you could end up risking your health and your life.

Planned Parenthood provides more than 4.2 million tests and treatments for STDs. They do more than 650,000 HIV tests. People are always embarrassed when they get an STD and Planned Parenthood is a safe place where you know people go all the time to be treated for them, so you feel comfortable.

A major plus to Planned Parenthood is they provide educational programs and outreach to 1.5 million young people and adults each year. They educate us. They teach about sex, diseases and everything we need to know. Many schools, including mine, didn't teach us much about sex. We were not educated on more than just the basics. We learned: use a condom so you don't get pregnant or an STD and always have consent. THERE IS SO MUCH MORE TO BE EDUCATED ON THAT TEENAGERS NEED TO KNOW. Planned Parenthood provides that education.

There are "8.5 million activists, supporters and donors working for women's health and safety and our fundamental reproductive rights."

Donald Trump knows this! HE SAYS MILLIONS ARE HELPED GREATLY. He has stated:

"Nillions and millions of women -- cervical cancer, breast cancer -- are helped by Planned Parenthood. So you can say whatever you want, but they have millions of women going through Planned Parenthood that are helped greatly. And I wouldn't fund it. I would defund it because of the abortion factor, which they say is 3 percent. I don't know what percentage it is. They say it's 3%. But I would defund it, because I'm pro-life. But millions of women are helped by Planned Parenthood".

If one knows the benefits of this organization, why would one defund it?! He knows the percentage is 3% and the rest is for incredible work that we need!

For the people that didn't understand why there was a women's march, here's a major reason why. Here's why I wish I could have marched.

It also wasn't just about women, just like Planned Parenthood isn't just about abortions. Demi Lovato said perfectly what the march was for.

"Today... we march for our rights. Not just as women, but as human beings. We are entitled to equal rights like GENDER EQUALITY, EDUCATION, EQUAL PAY, REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS, FREEDOM FROM SEXUAL ASSAULTS... and the list goes on. Do it for your mother, your daughter, your little sister, your best friends because women's rights are human rights."