8 Places To Be And Things To See When You Have Nowhere To Be

Rain or shine, you are sure to find something you like.

101
Beth Shugg

Although these may be cliche and a little bit obvious, there is a reason for that; they are tried and true by yours truly and her boyfriend. The places are rated on a scale of 1 star, being the worst, to 5 stars, being the highest. So here is to finding your next lazy-day indulgence!

1. Frankie's/ Adventure Landing

If you have some extra money to spend or maybe more than just SOME, you can go to these awesome modern arcades and outside "Fun Park" (s) as advertised by Frankie's in Brier Creek. The day of the arcade where you can bring a bag of quarters and play all day may be gone, but if you have the extra money to spend, you can still make an awesome day or date night out of it! These attractions are a bit more on the expensive side, but still highly recommend; 3 Stars.

2. The science and history museums downtown Raleigh or The Durham Life and Science Museum.

I grew up with these museums; every single elementary school field trip was to both of these museums, where we would spend the day going crazy and eating sandwiches outside on the portico. Today, at almost 20 years old, it is still one of my go-to places on a rainy day. It gives you enough exercise where you don't feel guilty about sitting on the couch, but not too much where you feel like you need to dress up to go there. PSA: The snapping turtle by the waterfall was the size of a small book when I first moved here and is now the biggest turtle I have ever seen. Both of these museums have free admission. 3 Stars

As for the Durham Life and Science Museum, this is an awesome place to go as long as it isn't raining. it offers so many things to see both in a traditional museum setting and on a few miles of walking trail. There is a small farm petting zoo, butterfly and insect house, as well as different animal exhibits along paved walking trails. To top it all off there is a wooden playground and many interactive activities for that inner kid just dying to come out and play. This museum has an admission price of $13. 4 Stars

3. The North Carolina Art Museums near the Fairgrounds.

For the art connoisseur looking to admire some beautiful artwork or for the amateur artist looking for inspiration or to render some sketches, this is the place to go. With two indoor museums that each offer different vibes (one modern and the other more traditional), there is artwork for everyone. The admission is free and it offers green spaces as well as walking trails and outside sculptures. As a bonus, the sound to sea trail can be accessed here and the Neuse River Walk is also accessible (with a fair amount of biking). 3 Stars.

Image result for north carolina museum of art

4. Find a cute hole in the wall restaurant and make an afternoon of it.

This is easily accessible no matter how small your town. You can find all choices of food all over Raleigh ranging from a quick bite to eat at a local burger joint, a mom-and-pop diner, or a more upscale experience for a relatively reasonable price. Dress up for fun or throw on some sweats just to get out of the house; either way, food is a common bonding experience that always leaves you satisfied and smiling. 5 Stars.

5. Raleigh Little Theater and Rose Garden

Personally, this place holds lot's of meaning and some wonderful date memories. I highly recommend a night at the Theater, as they offer free showings of popular movies when the weather warms up in their outdoor amphitheater. They also put on theater productions, plays, and other dramatic arts events. The little place is plopped in the middle of the NC State surrounding the campus and features a blooming rose garden in the Spring and Summer. Most events are free and offer a nice picnic atmosphere on a sunny day. 4 Stars.

6. The Mall (any mall)

We have 3 large indoor/outdoor malls within the triangle and as a girly-girl, I couldn't be happier. But the mall also offers everyone at least one favorite store. Walking around the mall can be a fun activity on a rainy day and one always has to visit the food court during a shopping spree (for some reason, the Chinese food always tastes better). Anyway, the largest and also generally most upscale and expensive mall is Southpoint, next is Crabtree Valley Mall and lastly is Triangle Town Center. There is also an exclusively outdoor shopping center called North Hills that features fine dining and shops. So wherever you are, hit the mall and go on that shopping spree you have been dying for. 3 Stars.

7. A Themed Bar

Although I am not of legal drinking age, many of my friends (including my boyfriend), are. I can not wait to be of legal drinking age because of all of the amazing themed bars there are, as well as the amazing drinks and brews that are offered. To name a few... Boxcar which is a barcade featuring old-school style arcade games, The Architect which features chic and modern upscale furniture and character, while also offering amazing drinks, and finally, Coglin's Raleigh, which sports an 80s and 90s theme that is sure to invite nostalgia for the good ole' days. Whatever your taste, there is an atmosphere to match. 3 Stars (for the expense).

8. SPCA of Raleigh.

This was probably the most amazing surprise date I have ever been given. Take a friend or even go by yourself, rain or shine, and head on down to a local animal shelter. You can go pet and love on all the animals without homes, while also having a fantastic time! This is free of charge and also gives some much-needed face-time to animals who otherwise only get the attention of the staff. You could also go and volunteer for a day or for the weekend to give back to the animals and the local community. Who knows, you might even find your next best friend! 5 Stars.

When there is nothing to do, you can always make an adventure. Day or night, there is always something to find in Raleigh, or anywhere else for that matter, as long as you have an open mind.