How To Know If Those Natural Remedies Are Working

Tried and true ways to determine if you're paying a lot for a lot of nothing.

48

In my life, I've tried many natural and homeopathic remedies. I know I've spent a minor fortune on these goods, as well. Yet, one question I'm always asking myself is,"How can you tell if 'it's' really working?"

By "it,"I mean anything from vitamins to herbs and from power drinks to teas. Although, I don't have experience with all of these categories, I do have a breadth of knowledge on how, or if, certain things have worked for me. I base my knowledge on perceived evidence and sometimes, outside input.

Today, I'm going to list 5 things I've taken or still take, that I've noticed really make a difference.

1. Holy Basil

I first was introduced to Holy Basil in a tea called Tulsi. I don't know what it was about it but, Holy Basil made me feel a calmness I'd never experienced. It made me feel more centered. Although it tends to be expensive, as for herbs, it seemed like one of those bottles that I knew held some form of rare gem, which is not surprising considering the name.

2. Chinese medicine with real, crushed herbs

There is a man, in the plain states, who knows his stuff, when it comes to Traditional Chinese Medicine, TCM. I do not know where he gets his herbs, and I don't know how he calculated what was out of balance, outside of that he studied in China and learned a rigorous regimen while there.

His remedies included small packets of crushed roots. When drunk, these formulas tasted spicy and sediment-like mixed with warm water. Also, this was, by far, the best non-traditional medicine I'd ever come across. This man also did acupuncture, which I was equally impressed with.

All of this did what was promised; living a yin-and-yang existence. Many times an ailment requires a remedy and we come to understand that many of these devices come with downfalls or side effects.

With TCM, I saw no bad effects. I saw improvement with my issues, while that addition of TCM, into my body, did not effect on any other system, adversely.

For example, my skin became completely even. I used to have spots which were prone to flaking, areas that were oily and some in between. My skin was also very sensitive and I was allergic or reacted to many products out there. It was very frustrating and expensive trying to treat one problem without inflaming another.

My period of time spent using Chinese herbs made my combination skin uniform and truly amazing. For the first time, as an adult, my complexion had the perfect amount of moisture and looked truly vibrant. Most of the other products I'd tried for skin, couldn't stand in TCM's shadow. In fact, I don't think many of them helped at all.

3. Goji Berry

Goji berry really did have a positive effect on my mood. I'd feel especially good and have a rush of happy energy after taking it.

Initially, I was offered a bit of goji berry juice. Not only was it delicious, sweet and tangy, I felt a bit euphoric, after having just a small amount. It was one of those things, like Suntheanine, which convinced me that there were some products made that worked magic.

It was short acting, meaning I'd need a lot of it to feel its effects continuously, but one thing I know is: drinking a goji drink is better than not,(and worth the cost.)

4. Lysine

For anyone who has had the misfortune of inheriting fever-blisters, you understand how troublesome they can be. It is a shared pain that I know too well.

I've had fever blisters, since I was little and tried things like Carmex and Blistex, but they didn't help with the virus that causes the problem.

A few prescriptions target the virus, but these medications are hard on the body, especially, the liver. However, there is one amino acid which does what these medications do, with little effect on the liver, and it's called lysine.

Lysine is cheap and works just, as well as, more costly products.

I find that lysine lip balms really aid me the most. Knowing that the sun can be a trigger, I apply lysine-balm or take lysine before going outdoors.

You can add a regime of lysine to your diet and that will help keep the virus, which causes fever blisters, at bay. However, it is advised not to take more than recommended.

Personally, up until the age of 20, I got cold sores several times a year. They were usually big and took a long time to heal. I had to go to school and continue on with my life, in spite of them and must say that it was a rotten feeling and very stigmatizing. I didn't know what triggered them and I didn't have resources, back then, to effectively rid myself of them.

But, once I entered college, I immersed myself with knowledge on natural remedies. I learned what could cause fever blisters and found ways to prevent them. Having said that, I don't know anyone else who has ever gotten fever blisters or has had to deal with them. Having them leads to a sadness which stems from the need to equip oneself with information on something no one else your age delves into. It can lead to feeling alone with no way to betterment.

Since discovering lysine at 20, I could count the number of cold sores I've had as minimal. Most notably, is that when I do get one, it is tiny compared to the ones I got when I was younger.

It's like I've lived two lives: one where cold sores were problematic and nothing shortened their duration and one where if I even feel my lip tingle, I take lysine and that's the end of it.

5. Emergen C

I don't know what it is about Emergen C, but it's what I reach for before I board a plane, go around sick people or need a boost of energy. I'm a teacher, so it supports me if I'm feeling lethargic. I take a packet of Emergen C and feel temporarily renewed.

I've tried many more products than these five listed and know that some didn't do much. The five above, however, are five that I would seriously back in case of emergency or medical issue. And, I base my conclusions on a lot of trial and error, experience and observation.