16 Pieces Of Advice For Every Week Of The Semester

16 weeks is all the semester is

117
Missouri State University

Hello, students entering their first semester of College. It is me, a student who has managed their first semester of college without dying. This is the advice I have for you.

1. Make Your Dorm Room Look Like Home

Decorate the CRAP out of this room. It's amazing how much canvases make a difference. And how much pictures make a difference. A Dorm room can and will feel like home.

2. Make Your Bed EVERY Day

This could be the only thing you do all day! And you always start your day off with a completed task. It makes a difference I swear.

3. Sleep Saves Lives

Try to get a schedule in place or at least plan naps on weeks when you are extra busy. Sleep not only makes you feel better but it also allows for your mind to take a break and recover from the day.

4. Get Involved

Whether you join Greek Life, a Campus Ministry, a Dorm Hall Council, a Club Sport, or any other organization join something. You will hear this a lot and it is true, getting involved is the best thing you can do for yourself. It allows you to start making those bonds that will last a lifetime.

5. Find A Good Netflix Series

Odds are you will not have a tv in your dorm room, they can be distracting! So find a good Netflix series to watch after a long day of class. In my opinion, the best ones are mindless and help the mind relax. Also, take recommendations from friends! My suitemates and I made a list of good shows and put it on our fridge.

6. Eat Veggies

Yes they may be gross, but they keep you from getting hella sick when everyone is. Vitamins of any kind help you avoid whatever is going around campus.

7. Get A Good Umbrella

College isn't like high school, you can't just run from your car to the nearest door. In college, you walk everywhere and a good umbrella will save you from getting soaked when you have to run across campus.

8. Make A Positivity Cup

"Every day may not be a good day, but every day has some good in it"- My Mom Just make a point to reflex on every day and look for something positive it makes a huge difference especially when you are stressed.

9. Get A Good Friend Of The Opposite Sex

It's good to have someone that feels like a brother/sister it allows you to relax and feel more at home.

10. Expect The Unexpected

Two days are never the same! No matter how hard you try to plan your day stuff comes up and plans change. Say yes when you get invited to events! They will be fun, and that reading can wait.

11. Use A Planner

Tests sneak up on you, term papers just kinda happen. Use a planner and plan ahead so you aren't that person that comes to class on test day without a scantron.

12. Make Friends With The People On Your Floor

Most importantly make a point to meet your RA and understand what they expect from you. It's also nice to know the people that live around you so when issues arise you can talk to them.

13. Find A Good Nail Salon

A good nail salon is a perfect escape when you want to spoil yourself and get off campus! It allows you to feel pampered and relaxed, which comes in handy during stressful weeks!

14. CALL YOUR MOM

Mom's save lives! Call your Mom as often as you need to! She always has the best advice when it comes to any life event!

15. Limit Your Skips

It's super easy to skip class, especially on cold days! Give yourself a skip allowance. I decided on 1 personal class skip for the whole semester. In all reality, you are paying for the class so you should go.

16. Treat Yourself

Find simple, cheap ways to make yourself feel good, sassy, and special! This could be a facetime with your dog or watching a movie on Netflix. Do anything that makes you feel good!

BONUS... CAUSE WEEK 17 IS ALL ABOUT FINALS!!

17. Find Your College Mom

Find that person that will hold you when you cry, listen to you when need to vent, and will pick you up when you can't stand the dorms anymore. And to my College Mom I love you!