What Happens When A Picky Eater Goes Gluten-Free

It's tough.

394
Faith Burling

I have always been told, out of annoyance, that I am a very picky eater. But to me, it's more of a "I know what I like and what I don't" type of thing. However, since I have started college, I have noticed that not everyone is as lucky as I am to get a choice from all the food that the cafeteria, or really anywhere that serves food, has to offer.

This gave me the idea to limit what I can have as well and since I have multiple friends that are gluten-free, I decided to try being gluten-free for a week.

Day 1:

Breakfast: Nothing

I quickly discovered how much gluten that I actually eat every single day. I couldn't have my normal granola bar and I also didn't have time to stop at the cafeteria to actually get food. Luckily, I made it to lunch.

Lunch: Cafeteria

For the gluten-free section at the cafeteria, they actually offered Jamaican tacos, which sounded and looked spicy so I decided to just eat a grilled chicken piece off a different section of the cafeteria. The cafeteria also was serving cupcakes for dessert, which I love but couldn't eat. I quickly decided this was going to be a tough week.

Dinner: Buffalo Wild Wings

My friends and I go to BOGO night every Tuesday at Buffalo Wild Wings. However, the only thing that they offer that I was aware of was "naked tenders" which is actually just grilled chicken. While I would've preferred my usual Honey BBQ wings, I stayed committed.

Day 2:

Breakfast: Nothing, again

For day 2, I didn't start off the strongest. I hadn't made it anywhere to get a gluten-free breakfast option.

Lunch: Cafeteria

For lunch, the cafeteria offered meatloaf, something I do not eat. So for lunch, I stuck with a salad. The salad had ranch and carrots on it. Kind of plain, but was close to the only options that I could have and that I would also eat. Later in the day, I felt somewhat tired due to not eating protein and quickly learned I'd have to figure out something different.

Dinner: In dorm

For dinner that night, I had leftover BWW from the day before. While at this point, I am definitely getting tired of the grilled chicken and honestly, I just really wanted to snack on some Doritos. Of course, I wasn't able to and stuck with the grilled chicken.

Day 3:

Breakfast: Slept in

I mean, we've all been there, right? But I did make it to class.

Lunch: Cafeteria

For lunch, at the cafeteria, I had taco meat, lettuce, rice, pineapple, and french fries. All of this besides the pineapple and french fries were offered at the gluten-free table, but I did need something to go with my rice taco.

Dinner: Cafeteria

For dinner, I ate at the cafeteria again. However, the cafeteria does not change its menu for the specialty food areas. This didn't allow me to have much creativity with what I ate so I had taco meat, lettuce, and rice again but also added a corn shell.

Day 4:

Breakfast: Dorm

I finally discovered a cereal that I could eat, Honey Nut Cheerios. While I wouldn't normally pick this as a breakfast, I thought that it was better than nothing. I ended up actually liking them. As a kid, I hated them and would refuse to eat them. It caused me to branch out a bit.

Lunch: Cafeteria

For lunch, I kept it classy and had a salad. To fix the lack of protein from the time before I added eggs to it. Anyone that knows me that I don't really ever eat eggs. I don't like the taste or smell and honestly avoid them all together, but honestly, when drowned in ranch, it didn't really make a difference and I couldn't taste the egg at all.

Dinner: Chick-Fil-A

For dinner, my friend and I went to Chick-Fil-A. I, of course, ate grilled chicken again. I ordered the grilled nuggets and let's just say, I'm going to stick with the regular ones.

Snack: Dorm

I actually was able to make a trip to Walmart and was capable to actually calm those late night pangs of hunger with Cape Cod Chips. They are actually really good and a great substitute for regular potato chips. I ate these before this week and will continue to as well.

Day 5:

Breakfast: Dorm

Honey Nut Cheerios again.

Lunch: Cafeteria

Once again, grilled chicken and I am for sure over it.

Dinner: Noodles and Co

Noodles and Co actually have gluten-free options. They just substitute rice noodles for a different kind. I had Wisconsin Mac-n-cheese with rice noodles and it was amazing.

Day 6:

Breakfast: Dorm

Honey Nut Cheerios, I have so much variety.

Lunch: Panera

I have actually never been a fan of Panera Bread. Every time I go and try something, I seem to not enjoy it. This didn't change anything. I went because my friends had outvoted me. I got the chicken caesar salad, which I usually love from anywhere. Something just seemed off with the dressing.

Dinner: Chipotle

I also didn't really like Chipotle, however, I was tired of having grilled chicken for every meal. At Chipotle, I got a bowl with barbacoa, rice, corn, and queso. It actually wasn't too bad, and I would go and have it again. My only complaint was that I cannot eat any spice and thought it was spicy at times.

Day 7: (Last day)

Breakfast: Dorm

Last day of Honey Nut Cheerios.

Lunch: Cafeteria

For my last lunch as gluten-free, I had grilled chicken with french fries. They also had cupcakes again, which I couldn't have.

Dinner: Cafeteria

For my last meal as gluten-free, I had a salad. Same as the lunch the other day with ranch, carrots, and eggs.

After this, I think I have become more open to trying new foods, while I do also have my limits. I also don't think I will ever willingly have grilled chicken again.