A Petition For Valentine's Day To Officially Become Galentine's Day

A day filled with your favorite people, your favorite food, and lots of chocolate and wine.
145

Let's Be Honest.

For most of us, Valentine's Day has always been a reminder that we have gone yet another year alone. So, why not make it a celebration of the undying, loyal love we have for our girlfriends? Our girls don't cheat on us, lie to us, or call us psychotic! What more could you ask for? So why dedicate a day to men who continuously let us down when we can make this day for those friends in our lives that do nothing but support us and hype us up?

Proof.

Last year I celebrated my first Galentine's Day with a dear friend of mine, Mary Bragg. Guess who is still in my life? That's right, Mary Bragg! Guess who is not still in my life? The egotistical, manipulative fella I was seeing at the time. All Mary Bragg ever did was make me feel confident and loved, while my ex left me feeling heartbroken and worthless.

If I had opted to celebrate Valentine's Day with this guy, that day would no longer be filled with happy memories but tainted with the memory of him. Some may argue that Valentine's Day is an amazing day for happy couples to celebrate their love. True, it can be. But if you two break-up, think of all the missed opportunities you had to celebrate Galentine's Day.

Leave celebrating your love for your significant other to your anniversary, and use the fourteenth of February to celebrate your girls. I suppose the one exception here can be married couples, you guys have a free pass to continue celebrating Valentine's Day in its traditional sense.

The Attire.

Furthermore, I did not have to dress up, do my hair and makeup, or shave to celebrate Galentine's Day. Nope, I wore an oversized sweater, leggings, and wore my hair in a messy bun. Isn't that every girl's dream?

Save the Date.

February, 14th, 2018. Your very first (or even better, not your first) Galentine's Day! Grab your best girl, or all your best girls, and plan an epic night. If you still want to dress-to-impress, hit up the local bars and/or clubs. Besides, what's better than looking fantastic while dancing with your girls? Nothing, nothing is better than that. Out with the old, and in with the new. Now, go shopping for that eye-catching outfit. Or don't, Galentine's Day has no rules.