Personalize Your Workspace And You'll Rarely Lose Motivation

A Little Decor Goes A Long Way

49
Lula And Georgia

Doing work can be a bit of a struggle. Getting motivated to sit down at your desk and start working is even more difficult- especially when your desk is nothing shy of a block of wood with a metal lamp on top. But here's my theory: all you need is a little customization and you'll feel motivated to do just about anything. Here are some of my tips for customizing your workspace, and maybe after you read this you can get working on whatever you have been procrastinating.

1. Get inspirational posters

Inspirational signs can be a great way to keep you motivated. By simply putting up a poster above your desk or a sign on your desk shelf, you will instantly have something to look towards when questioning your motivation. A sign might provide you with the drive to remain interested in whatever goal you have in mind or work you need to get finished. But even if it doesn't help you get "inspired" it still adds as a fun way to customize and decorate your workspace

2. Customize your laptop

Nowadays, almost all work is done electronically- you can't really do much without a laptop in front of you. I enjoy decorating my laptop with stickers. The stickers on my laptop are from redbubble.com and I got them for around $1-2 a piece. You can customize your laptop with almost any sticker you want because they have endless designs. You can put your favorite tv show's logo on there, your favorite quote, a heart, a hamsa, a favorite celebrity and anything else you want. It's just a great way to customize your laptop, and it is also really fun to switch the stickers around.

3. Decorate your bulletin board

If you don't have a bulletin board on your desk, you should get one. If not, you can easily buy cork squares that are large enough to fit whatever you need. Bulletins are a great way to customize your workspace, and also help you organize. You can decorate the bulletin with pictures of friends and family, and even put up flyers or important pieces of paper as reminders for upcoming events or the work you need to get done. You can decorate the board with colored push-pins, polaroids, or even collages. There are endless opportunities with a bulletin. And having something like that to look at while at work can make your desk that much more inviting.

4. Plants

Plants can be a great way to customize your workspace and create a calming mood. Planting fresh flowers in a mason jar is a great way to decorate your workspace and add a bit of an organic feel. Plants can serve as natural remedies to alleviate anxiety. Jasmine, lavender, peace lilies, aloe, and spider plants are just a few that are proven to alleviate anxiety. By simply planting some flowers, you can definitely create a different, refreshing feel in your workspace that will hopefully inspire you to get working.

5. Customize your desk organizers

Having something interesting to store pens/pencils/scissors/rulers/etc. in will motivate you more. You can spray paint a mason jar to add a little something. You can also decorate the jar with washi tape. Washi tape is tape with various, and sometimes intricate designs. It's like designed duck tape but it is a lot thinner. You can cover the entire mason jar with the tape or just line it around the top or bottom. Either way, it makes for a nice decoration piece that will spice up your otherwise boring desk organizers.

6. Snacks!

There is nothing better than knowing that you can reward yourself for working hard. An easy way to motivate yourself can be to have a candy jar on your desk. In between studying or working, you can reward yourself with your favorite sweet/sour candy, whether it be gummy bears, sour patch, chocolate, or an assortment of some of your favorites. Knowing that you will have a nice treat after working, hopefully, will not distract you, but motivate you to work that much more. Plus, candy in a mason jar can be a nice decorative item on your desk. But of course, don't eat the candy while you're working, because that would defeat the purpose.

7. Display those left over fortunes

This idea might be a little far-fetched for some people. But for a long time, I have collected various fortunes from fortune cookies. Although most are cliches, they are a fun way to decorate a bulletin board. Instead of having inspirational quotes, these fortunes are both small and inspirational. They are an easy addition to your workspace and a great new collection. Being able to pick and choose which fortunes is fun in itself. But also looking at them when you're stuck can be helpful. They are a great decorative piece and a source of inspiration and personalization for your workspace.

8. Display art

Whether you like abstract designs, photography, oil paintings, landscapes or other types, any type of art will be a great addition to your workspace. Simply displaying your favorite work of art can be a nice source of motivation and comfort. Art will not only personalize your space but also provide comfort and help your mood. There is nothing worse than having to work when you are too anxious to think straight. Being in the right mindset strengthens your productivity and your work habits.