Yes, You Are Only One Person And Yes, You Can Still Change The World

We've all heard the saying "be the change you wish to see in the world."

It seems idealistic to say that one person can change the world.

But, is it?

Maybe the term "world" is too general, but one person can truly make all of the difference.

In my History Through Film class this week, we discussed the topic of the Freedom Rides of the early 1960s, which happened right here in the U.S. The Freedom Riders were both male and female, black and white, and were primarily young adults. Most of the Freedom Riders were college students, just like us.

In this political climate, there is pressure on students to stand up for what they believe to be right and to take action on making that happen. It may seem overwhelming, and frankly, pointless.

How can I make a difference when I am just one person, in a country of millions?

That's just the thing, you are one person.

You may be the one person that could change everything.

In 1955 it took one woman sitting where she felt she belonged to sit to start a movement. That woman was Rosa Parks, and that action was the catalyst for bus boycotts, which would eventually lead to the Freedom Rides. If one woman hadn't taken the chance of being the one person to make a difference, who knows what America would look like today.

Every major movement needed the one person to start it.

In today's society, it's overwhelming the amount of change we want. It's hard to believe that in a world where teens can't safely go to school, that one person could make a difference.

They can. You can.

Gandhi was one person. Martin Luther King Jr. was one person. Malala is one person.

There were only 13 original Freedom Riders before that number quickly turned into over 400. 400 people that sacrificed their safety, their privacy, and knew they were possibly sacrificing their lives.

Change isn't easy, but it shouldn't be.

If you feel a passion for something, or if you truly believe in a cause, do not be afraid to stand up for it. Do not be afraid to take the first step, because there will be a crowd of people behind you, wishing they had the courage to have taken the first step.

If we don't do it, who will?