The Perks Of Global Warming

The Perks Of Global Warming

Is it really worth it?
186

Ahh, s'winter! In the world of "Phineas and Ferb," it was a summer day that they morphed into winter. However, in our current (and a bit more than moderately alarming) times, it is synonymous with the month of February.

I came to Syracuse, New York expecting my winters to be a steady stream of snow. And for a while, that was what I got. However, suddenly we are knee deep in what would be expected to be the prime snow and parka weather, and I am stepping out of my dorm in short sleeves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily complaining. If anyone appreciates a warm day, it's a student who goes to Syracuse University. However, I would be lying if I said that the warmth wasn't worrisome.

It's not supposed to be 75 degrees in the winter. This is a simple fact that even a kindergartener could understand. So the fact that our current president has the tenacity to deny that global warming is occuring is not only baffling, but also concerning. Because sure, today we are all in good moods as we walk out of our dorms in flip-flops and t-shirts during the time we should be in snow boots and parkas.

But in the next 5 years? 10 years? 50? I don't want to live in a world where there is no such thing as snow. And frankly, it won't even be an option, because a world where there is no snow is likely a world that is already too destroyed for habitation.

I'm not the grinch, and I'm not wishing for negative degree winter. I'm just saying it's a bit hard to enjoy the warmth in February when I know what a price we are paying to experience it.