Performing FAQ's

Performing FAQ's

Getting inside the head of an aspiring performer

67
Performing FAQ's
Kaileigh Hyman

There are a lot of questions that performers of all ages get frequently asked, usually at Thanksgiving in front of their entire family. Some of these questions include, "What are you going to do with the rest of your life?" or "Are you sure you are going to get stable work??" This summer, I was cast in The Music Man at Berkshire Theatre Group and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to ask my fellow cast mates some questions and clear the air about some misconceptions regarding performing.

Hayden Hoffman, 10 years old, Winthrop Paroo

Why did you want to become an actor?

I wanted to become an actor since I was 3. I always used to put on shows for my family. So when I was 8 years old I was old enough to be in a production. I pursued my dream of becoming an actor trying out for a Christmas Carol and was fortunate enough to get Tiny Tim!

Do you want to keep acting as you get older? Why or why not?

I do want to keep acting when I get older because I have a lot of fun doing it. Acting is my life without it I would not be the character (Winthop Paroo) that I am today.

What is your favorite part about performing?

My favorite part about performing is how I can learn so much from the older actors from watching them and listening to them. Making so many memories and friends.

Jenna Napolitano, junior in college, Maud Dunlop

Do you prefer singing, acting, or dancing more and why? What got you started?

I should say dance because I've been doing that the longest and I consider that my strength, but I'm partial to all three because each can portray emotions and tell stories so uniquely and beautifully.

What is a typical warm up for a performance like for you?

A typical warmup is stretching out/doing a ballet Barre and rocking out to throwback music like old-school Katy Perry and pre-2010 songs with Jenna A. (seen below).

Do you have a "back up plan?"

I haven't thought about a back-up until recently. I took psychology this year and it totally changed my life, so perhaps going to grad school for psychology and hopefully getting my doctorate. I had a lot of emotional distress and mentally was really not in a good place this past year, so I've thought about becoming a performing arts psychologist down the road to prevent the things that happened to me from happening to other people and keeping artists mentally and emotionally on track with their careers.

Jenna Atkinson, senior in college, Pick-a-little Lady

How do you prepare for a show?

For me, I tend to slightly change up my preparations for a show depending on the demands of what the show entails. For example, if it is a dance heavy show I like to do a physical warm-up for my whole body or if it is mainly a vocal heavy show I will focus my attention on warming up my voice up as to not strain anything. Through my years of performing, I actually find that doing my hair and make-up has become part of my routine because I like to listen to up-beat music to get my energy moving and begin to put me in show mode.

What is the worst part about performing?

I would say the feelings that arise during the audition process are probably the worst part of performing. Our job is based on our talent and it so easy to get lost in comparing yourself or becoming jealous of those in the room. It is times like this that I have to remind myself why I love theatre in the first place and that my talent is unique to me, which I find incredibly beautiful.

Why did you decide to pursue a degree in Musical Theatre?

I was lucky enough to attend a performing arts high school, which really opened my eyes to what it would be like to continue this training at a higher level. After four years of being surrounded by musicians, artists, actors etc. I could not imagine myself pursuing anything else.

Do you have plans for after college?

Never thought my college experience would come to an end so quickly. Four years really does fly by! I am fortunate enough that I live in an arts community in Pennsylvania and am only a train ride away from NY. I plan on working from home and saving money until I can move to New York and hit the pavement. As for a survival job…I don’t see myself in the restaurant business for the rest of my life. Shocker, I know! I would love to work in the health field as a health and wellness coach/ fitness instructor. In this industry it is so important to take care of your mind and body, and what better way to spend my free time than to share this other passion of mine.

What is the most important lesson you have learned so far in your career?

You will hear more "no’s" than "yes’s" and that one "no" is just one step closer to that big "yes"! It’s hard to hear rejection daily and still want to pursue this rigorous career. So far though, I have found that each audition is its own learning experience and it is an opportunity to grow as a performer and make new connections. Sure, I may not be right for one show, but I cannot beat myself up for that. So much goes into the casting process and if you just go in with an open mind and the willingness to learn, a silly "no" means absolutely nothing at the end of the day.