People Are Sharing Their Secrets to Making the Tastiest Smoothies Ever

Smoothies

70

Whether you're looking to lose weight, gain muscle, or be healthy — smoothies are an awesome way to start every day. Plus, they are super easy to make, and you can choose any ingredients that complement each other's flavors.

Of course, the secret to making a good smoothie is knowing how to select ingredients. But it doesn't stop there. It takes more than that if you want your smoothie to be the absolute tastiest.

We've searched far and wide to find out what people love most about their smoothies, and they're spilling their best secrets.

Avoid Juices With Added Sugar

Many smoothie recipes contain added sugar, so you should avoid smoothies with juices as your base. Juices have very little fiber and are high in sugar. If you do use juice, make sure it's 100% fruit juice and not a drink that contains just added sugar.

If you're making a smoothie at home, cut up some fresh pineapple or strawberries instead of buying pre-cut pieces at the store. If you're buying pre-cut fruits at the grocery store, look for ones that don't have any preservatives (though this can be hard if you don't know what ingredients are in each one).

Use Nut Milk Instead of Dairy Milk

If you don't want to use dairy, there are plenty of other options. Almond and soy milk are both good alternatives for smoothies, but we recommend using cashew milk instead. Cashews have a very neutral flavor so that they won't interfere with the taste of your smoothie. They're also full of nutrients like iron, magnesium, and vitamin K2 that help keep our bones healthy and strong!

Coconut Water Is a Great Base, Too

Many people use fruit juices or milk as their base, but there's another option that some people prefer: coconut water. Coconut water has less sugar than juice and has more potassium than milk, making it a good choice for those looking for something more natural. It also adds a lot of vitamins and minerals that help keep your body healthy and hydrated throughout the day. If you're looking for something unique, try adding some coffee or tea! We’ve tried it before, and it was delicious!

Use Frozen Fruit Whenever Possible

Frozen fruit is always better than fresh because it doesn't oxidize as fresh fruit does, and it won't go bad as quickly, either. Plus, frozen fruit is usually cheaper than fresh! You can buy frozen fruit in bulk at almost any grocery store. When buying frozen fruit for smoothies, ensure the pieces are small enough so that no one bites into an entire strawberry or peach.

Unsweetened Milk & Yogurt Is the Best

You can use unsweetened milk or yogurt in combination with other ingredients such as ice cubes, frozen fruit, berries, or nut butter (if you're trying to make it thicker). The result is a creamy drink that doesn't have an overpowering sweetness.

Flavor Your Smoothie With Spices

Vanilla extract gives smoothies a luxurious flavor and makes them feel more indulgent than they are! If you don't have vanilla extract on hand, try adding cinnamon instead — it will give your smoothie a deliciously spicy kick! You can also add nutmeg or fresh mint leaves for an extra flavor that'll make your smoothie feel more festive.

Blend Your Heart Out

This is probably the most important tip for you: blend, blend, blend! The longer you blend your smoothie, the smoother it will be. If your blender isn't powerful enough, try adding ice cubes to help break down some tough chunks of frozen fruit before blending again.

Drink It Immediately

When you blend up a smoothie, the air bubbles in the mixture expand with heat and pressure. So if you leave your smoothie sitting around for too long, it will start to deflate — which means less air inside your drink and less texture once you sip it down.

Also, the longer your smoothie is unblended, the more likely it is that some of your ingredients will break down into smaller particles — specifically fruit pulp and seeds. And this makes for a gritty texture that can ruin even the best-tasting smoothies.

Takeaway

The best smoothies are the ones you make yourself, but it's always helpful to get new ideas. From different ingredients to different techniques, check out these great secrets to improve your smoothie-making skills. The most important thing to remember is to experiment and see what tastes good to you.

We sure hope that this little guide has helped to inspire you to make the tastiest smoothie ever!