Penn State's THON 2021 Proves A Pandemic Cannot Stop The Good In People

Raising over 10.6 million dollars during a pandemic is quite the accomplishment during COVID-19.

5
@pennstatethon Instagram

Despite the conditions with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, THON 2021 at Penn State was a great success. This 46 hour dance marathon tests the strength of all dancers but encourages donations that go towards the Four Diamonds Fund for cancer research and the expenses that come with medical bills. Typically, large crowds can gather and bigger initiatives to obtain donations are allowed; however, given the restrictions that come with the pandemic, students had to turn towards virtual means to raise money and awareness for THON 2021.

Raising $10,638,078.62, students, faculty, staff, and everyone who took steps to help or donate proved that the pandemic cannot stop the good in people from shining through. COVID-19 impacted the number of jobs available and salaries of many people, resulting in less money being available to donate or share readily. However, when asked to donate to THON, which helps with the Four Diamonds Fund, people were able to sacrifice some money for others who need it more. Especially during the pandemic, those with underlying health conditions, such as cancer, are at a higher risk of being hospitalized or dying due to COVID-19. These people likely have even higher medical costs due to these extra risks, and people were surely able to help out.

A common phrase throughout this time period affected by the pandemic is that everything is bad, or that the pandemic has ruined all hope. However, using THON 2021 as an example, it is clear that people still are able to produce good for the better of us all. These donations demonstrate how a pandemic cannot hold people back from doing the best to help those struggling with cancer.