10 Things Pearl River Kids Can Relate To

It's basically Ireland, but In New York.

242

My town is Irish. Like, really really Irish. In fact, Forbes.com lists Pearl River, NY as the third most Irish neighborhood in the United States. Almost half of the residents are of Irish descent, which is pretty huge, since there are only around 2,000 people who live in Pearl River. Growing up Irish Catholic in such a small Irish Catholic community had a huge effect on me as a person. Growing up where I did shaped the person that I have become. There are a few things that people from Pearl River (or any small town) know to be true.

You will see someone you know anytime you leave the house.

Regardless of whether its noon or two in the morning, you will see someone you know. They will ask you how your mom is doing. It never fails.

March is St. Paddy's day.

St. Patrick’s Day is not just celebrated on March 17, or the Sunday following March 17, which is when the Pearl River St. Patrick’s Day parade occurs every year. It is celebrated all through the month. It is taken very seriously. The parade route in town is mapped by a huge green line. In the local grocery store or any specialty stores in neighboring towns, you can be sure that green merchandise is being sold all throughout March.

At least three relatives work for the NYPD or FDNY.

No exceptions.

At least one parent is from The Bronx or "Off the Boat."

The way Pearl River became so Irish was the trickle-down system. My grandparents came from Ireland, my parents grew up in the Bronx, and now I’m in Pearl River. This applies to most families.

We all love potatoes.

If I could live off potatoes/potato products and condiments, I probably would.

.

Your family recycles names.

Although the names Siobhan (pronounced Sha-von) and Aine (On-Ya) aren’t that common by me, the names Mary, Daniel, John, and Michael are very common here and in my own family. Most families don't even try to be creative.

Tea. Is. Life.

And it’s probably black tea with cream and sugar—also required to be as hot as the surface of the sun.

.

Your parents have horror stories from going to Catholic school.

Both of my parents were basically abused by nuns in elementary and high school. Everyone’s parents have similar horror stories.

You love to share stories about growing up Irish Catholic with other people who grew up Irish Catholic.

Okay, this isn’t town specific, but it’s pretty damn funny hearing a teacher of mine say that he was burned by a hot tea spoon because the tea that the spoon was in was so hot, when I have experienced exactly the same thing.

You would not change a thing.

I resented my town as a kid because it wasn’t that diverse. Yet, I love coming home from college and being welcomed back into my little piece of Ireland after every semester.