Peanut Butter And Other Food Related Tragedies

Shouldn't we have a say in the changes being made to our food?

4

If you’re anything like me, food is a pretty big part of your day. A good chunk of your day is spent eating, and much of the rest of the day is spent thinking about what you’re going to eat later.

That’s normal... right?

And look at us! We’re lucky enough to go to Rollins College, a school where the food is amazing and there are so many choices and we can even order food from off-campus dining options! We can essentially use Monopoly money to pay for Domino’s.

But lately, I’ve been feeling like a lot of things are happening to our food. Things that I know I’m not okay with, and I’m pretty sure most other people aren’t okay with either.

Let’s start with peanut butter.

Once upon a time, I was in the Campus Center getting breakfast. The bananas looked delicious, so I grabbed one, and then I started to look for the peanut butter. Because who doesn’t love a good peanut butter banana?

And I’m looking everywhere, in the center where all the jellies are, over by the bread and bagels. No peanut butter anywhere.

So I ask one of the people from Sodexo where I can find peanut butter. Come to find out, Rollins decided to completely remove peanut butter for fear of people who have nut allergies coming into contact with it.

Okay, fine. I’ll get my Skippy elsewhere. But explain something else to me. What about Nutella?

Don’t get me wrong, I love Nutella. But do you know what’s in Nutella? Mainly hazelnuts. Translation: Nutella is just as bad for someone with nut allergies as peanut butter is.

Let’s see, what else?

Hey, am I the only upperclassman who remembers when we didn’t have a limit on off-campus food? I’m whining here and I know it. But it’s pretty valid, isn’t it? Why do we suddenly have this $150 limit? It irritates me. It irritates a lot of people.

Additionally, among other food changes, the sandwich line (that used to be in the C-Store) is now in Diane’s and only open until 7:30. This is problematic for a lot of people, myself included as an athlete.

I get that construction is happening and that the sandwiches will be back when the pub is ready, but when I get out of practice at eight or nine at night, I’d like a better choice than a cheeseburger from the marketplace, an Easy Mac from the C-Store, or some pizza from Park Ave.

I’m just saying.

But aside from how funny and ironic it is to point a lot of this out, shouldn’t we get a little bit more of a say in what happens on campus? Shouldn’t we at least know the logic behind these decisions? I like to think so.

It's more than about peanut butter.