I Don’t Think Higher Education Should Be Free

Recently, I have seen a lot of information and social media controversy surrounding the concept of free higher education. Especially in regards to the proposition of former presidential candidate Bernie Sanders, the idea of opening up free education to all has become a new consideration. As much as the idea sounds appealing and beneficial, it is not without its flaws and inevitable consequences.

(Sidenote: Bernie Sanders is a great man and I fully support his campaign for equal rights for all humans. I simply disagree when it comes to providing free education because I don’t believe it’s possible within our country.)

Here's my thing. When you want in something in life, you are supposed to work for it. If everything was simply handed out without people having to work for what they want, life would be too, too perfect. It would be a utopia. If everyone could get what they want for free, what would be the point of working hard?

Perfection simply is not attainable, and it's not even desirable. Why shouldn't we work for the things that we want so that when we achieve them, we can be even prouder of ourselves and the success can feel better than it ever would have if we didn't earn it?

I want higher education for myself, and I I want higher education for all, but I do think that a college education comes with a price. I believe that this is the way that things should be. When I get hungry, I have to pay for food. When I get bored, I have to pay for entertainment. When I need clothing and shelter, I have to pay for these things. Therefore, why wouldn't I have to pay for higher education when I want to be further educated?

My education up to twenty grade is covered by the taxes that my parents pay, and for that I am entirely grateful. I am extremely passionate about achieving higher education and I can't wait to be exposed to more ways of learning, brand new concepts, and higher- level ideas. But, I'm willing to pay the price because this is what I want.

Higher education is not a necessity. I'm not saying that it's a luxury, though, because I totally understand that a bachelors degree is much more likely to land someone a job than a high school diploma is. Do I think degrees should be needed in order to achieve a job? No, not at all, because some people do not have access to higher education and the funds needed. I do agree that higher education should be less costly-75,000 dollars a year tuition is insanely ridiculous. I would love for it to be lowered and know how beneficial it would be to many.

But here's the thing- if someone really wants to go to college, they are going to figure out how to get there and they're going to work as hard as they can until they get to college. There are so many ways- employment during and before college, scholarships, financial aid, etc. I'm not saying that there aren't circumstances because trust me there are. Sometimes, life isn't fair and some kids who should go to college aren't able to. I totally get this and I have no excuse for this. I want all kids who desire to, to be able to go to college.

I just don't think that free college is the solution. Yes- other governments may have free higher education but those governments are differently structured. We do not have the resources necessary to allow free higher education, unless we drastically reconstruct our government.

I'm not the perfect student. I don't have college guaranteed for myself. I work for what I want and I will continue working until I get what I want, because I feel this is the way things should be.

I believe when you want something, you fight for it. Please don't get me wrong, I want everyone to have access to college, but I do personally believe that you have to work for what you want in life. If you want it that badly, you will work until you get it.