Thoughts Of A Pennsylvania-Native Turned Virgnia-Student

The Pros & Cons of Transitioning between the States

24
Caitlin Carlson

In honor of the best school in Virginia recently sending out its first rounds of acceptance letters (HUGE Congratulations to all the future Dukes out there), I thought I would share the pros and the cons of coming to the wonderful state of Virginia from the just as wonderful state of Pennsylvania.

1. People Say and Eat The Weirdest Things

Yes, all of the rumors are true – people from the south live in a different America. Luckily, Virginia is hardly the “deep south,” but nonetheless you can’t go a day without hearing a “y’all” or seeing grits being served for breakfast. The biscuits and gravy for brunch and overly-sweetened iced tea sure takes some getting used to, but the southern comfort food does grow on you quickly. However, regardless of how much you fall in love fried chicken with buttered mashed potatoes, coming from Pennsylvania, you will undoubtedly miss pierogis when you realize that your Virginia friends don’t even know what they are.

2. The Weather (Major Pro)

Warmer. Warmer. Warmer. Is there much more I need to say? If you didn’t come to Virginia originally for this reason, it will soon bump to the top of your list as to reasons why you love this state. When you don’t even need to think about bringing snow boots back to school until after Christmas break, you know you are in a happy place.

3. In-Staters & their Counties

After you finally figure out that NOVA stands for Northern Virginia and not Villanova University, you will then find yourself trying to figure where the heck your new college friends live. Within a matter of days, you will need to know that when people say that they’re from the 757, they live in Virginia Beach and when people say they live in the DMV, they aren’t the people who issue your license for you, but they do live in the DC, Maryland, Virginia area. But, even when you become familiar with hometown names, you will still face the question, “why does everyone talk about their counties instead of towns?”

4. The Scenery

Pennsylvania is beautiful, don’t get me wrong, nothing beats the Blue Mountains, or its many windy rivers, but Virginia puts up some pretty good competition. The Shenandoah Mountains and Valley provide some of the most gorgeous, widespread scenery I have ever come across on a hike. From several points on different trails, you can see neighboring West Virginia. If mountains aren’t your cup of tea though, the hundreds of horse farms, the open fields, and the beautiful sunrises are sure to make you realize the beauty of the state. Let’s not forget, Virginia is also one of the few states to have all of this and a beach.

5. Redskins, Giants, Ravens – Oh My!

Whether you’re an Eagles fan or a Steelers fan, your rival will be represented in Virginia. Hail to the Redskins will be said just as many times as “Amen” on Sundays, Ravens jerseys will create a sea of black and purple, and those Jersey kids who love coming here for school, will be sure to bring some Giants love to Virginia. All you can do to fight this is wear your Green and Black proudly, or wave that Terrible Towel high and pray that by some freak accident of nature, the PA teams will actually pull through for you.

6. The Nicest People in the World

The best, and I mean the absolute best part of Virginia is the people. Southern hospitality is a real thing and you will fall in love with the people here because of it, but, then again, when you go to a school where holding doors is a must, it’s hard not to. Their patience, bright smiles, and southern charm create such a wonderfully happy environment. I guarantee that everyone from your friendly desk-neighbor at the university library, to the gas station attendant, to your Virginia-grown friends, will all be on your list of “Nicest People I’ve Ever Met.”

Overall, although Virginia can seem quite weird to Pennsylvania-natives, there are so many reasons to choose the state for your college experience. Especially if that school is James Madison University, because not only does it embody everything great about Virginia, but it is the epitome of a great school for any state. I, as a lifelong Pennsylvanian, would recommend Virginia to any incoming freshman without hesitation. After all, Virginia is for lovers.