I'd Rather Get My Passport Stamped Than Have A Guy Buy Me A Drink

Stamps are permanent, drinks are temporary.
35

What if I told you that having a guy buy you drink is absolutely fucking pointless? That you should start trading these one night encounters for meaningful month long adventures? You'd probably nod and say:

"Yeah, that sounds reasonable, Emina, but I really just want a damn drink, OK?"

I know that some of you reading this may have no desire to travel.

I would just like to ask you, "Why do you want to keep living in your little bubble?" Why do you keep settling for that guy you meet at the bar but probably won't remember two years from now when your friends ask you about the moments your heart felt the most alive?

OK, that sounds extremely cheesy but don't tell me you haven't had those late night conversations with your friends that involve going through an entire bottle of wine (or two).

Traveling is nothing like that. You are told that you will meet the most interesting, vivacious people when you leave the country. The reason people tell you this is because it's true. I could tell you the names of the backpackers I met while I was in Sarajevo one year ago (Ella and Brittany if you're reading this, never stop wandering). I could tell you exactly what I talked about with my cab driver as I was leaving for the airport at 5 AM. I could tell you all of these things because they all meant something to me.

Does the guy who buys you a drink really mean something to you? Does he really even care?

I mean, a free drink is a free drink, I totally get that. But it isn't going to give you the same kind of satisfaction you get when you stumble upon a charming coffee shop in the outskirts of Copenhagen, is it?

Deep down, I think that most of you ladies already know this but you are just settling and taking the easy way out because you know you are capable of getting a free drink.

All I'm asking is that you recognize that you are capable of so much more.

Why do we keep settling and not even realize it? Why aren't we going after the things that set our hearts on fire? I suppose it's a different reason for everyone. For me, it is traveling, but for you, it may be something else, and that is okay. I encourage you to go after "your thing" because believe me, no man will ever be able to provide you with that.

Yeah, he'll give you other great stuff, I am sure that he will, but when it comes down to doing what you love, that is all you.

Getting your "passport stamped" could mean finally deciding to sell prints of your artwork that you have been working on for the past few years. It could also mean deciding to pursue your dream of opening up your own restaurant.

So go get your passport stamped, I'll be waiting at the gate when you come running through.