Passing the Torch: The Transition from Little to Big

The transition from being taken care of to taking care of a Little of your very own.

4
Photo by: alphaphiwsu Tumblr

Growing your Greek family is more than finding a Little who shares the same interests. The impact you will have on this individual for years to come will shape their future as well as your own.

The ultimate reward of having a Big is being able to have someone who will stand by you at your worst and love you just as much as when you have all your ducks in a row. They will allow you to make mistakes, often times the same ones they have made themselves, but they will never judge. They will promote your self growth and make you feel like Beyonce' after a good ol' heart to heart. Chances are, your big will play many roles depending on the situation: a mom right here in Pullman, a counselor when things get rough, and your second academic advisor to make sure you have your s*** together (not just during the first week). Your crafting skills will soon exceed a new level that outshines anything on Pinterest. All of the unforgettable things your big has done for you will soon be the reasons your little is obsessed with having you in their life. 

Taking over a role you once took full advantage of, and almost too soon after relying on your Big to help pick up the pieces of your own life, will allow you to find value in the smaller things. Good morning texts are no longer just for your boyfriend, because your Little will more than likely appreciate them just as much. Your closet is now not only yours, as Little gets what Little wants. Random acts of kindness towards a sister or a friend is now a weekly occurrence because your Little needs to know she’s loved. Walking her back to her dorm after an event will become a routine and you will learn to love it, no matter how bad you are both stumbling. Showing your Little how things are done includes everything from what classes to take to what you wear to football games; she needs to learn it all. 

Helping them make the right decisions, and even sometimes the wrong ones, is a great learning experience for the both of you. At the end of the day, she is going to be just as perfect and flawless no matter what she does. As a Little, take full advantage of this because no one will ever love you and think as highly of you as your Big does!