7 Things Your Partner Can Do To Support You If You Have PCOS

7 Things Your Partner Can Do To Support You When You Have PCOS

Don't be afraid to ask for help or comfort if you need it.

16128

Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) may not be totally visible to the eye, which makes it a lot harder for your partner to understand what's going on with your body.

If you are in a relationship, it's important that you communicate your PCOS symptoms with your partner. I say "your" symptoms specifically because everyone's symptoms are different.

If you know when your body typically has a cyst rupture or those heavy, PCOS period cramps then let your partner know what helps you through it so they can help take care of you when the painful pelvic pain begins.

1. Bring you cyst rupture/cramping essentials

If it's red wine and a weighted heating pad that helps you through this, then your partner damn well better know this without question.

2. Bear with you through your mood swings

The hormonal changes in our bodies are unlike any other, so if you're having a flare-up of symptoms, make sure bae knows that your mean streak will pass. It's best they just let it play out and not fight back (my fiance knows this one all too well).

3. Know YOUR body and what's going on in there

Ask your partner to do some research about PCOS so he/she can understand what it is and all of the potential side effects you may face.

4. Don't complain

This one sounds like a no-brainer, and it is, but sometimes your cysts are going to rupture and ruin your evening plans or your mood swings are going to make a good day a little salty. Some understanding and support in these situations will go a long way in strengthening your relationship.

SEE ALSO: I Sat Down With An Endocrinologist To Ask All My Questions About Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

5. SHOW your support

While knowing where the wine and heating pad are is wonderful, holding our hand and giving us a kiss on the forehead are some simple gestures that help us feel less alone and loved.

6. Encourage our dietary and supplemental needs

People with PCOS may treat their symptoms with gluten and dairy-free diets, birth control pills, natural remedies, and other solutions to aid their hormonal disorder. Make dinner with gluten-free noodles for both of you or buy soy ice cream instead to help us feel more encouraged by the changes in our lives we had to make.

7. Make your S.O. happy

Whether it's coming over and surprising them with their favorite snack, flowers, doing the laundry, or giving them an orgasm, make them happy!

As an Amazon partner, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.