11 Reasons Why You Should Participate In The Race Card Project

7. Open yourself up to learning worldviews

Angeles Isabel Cuevas Cervantes
12

"Even though I thought no one wanted to talk about race, this project taught me that tens of thousands of people do," Norris said. "What I hope I've been able to do with this project is create a safe place for people to have their say, but also to create a place where people can listen to other people, especially when they don't agree with them" - Michele Norris, Daily Orange"

1. Make a difference

The Race Card Project is slowly making a difference in the race talk that needs to happen today. Your story matters and it deserves to be heard.

2. Take the power back

media.giphy.com

Pulling the race card should never be seen as a negative thing nor should it be treated as unimportant. By submitting this small race card, you are proving that the race card needs to be pulled because it affects everyones daily life. Turn the race card from a negative to a positive.

3. Join the movement

media.giphy.com

Everyone knows that injustices exist but no one knows what to do. If you are constantly asking yourself what you should do, this is your sign.

4. Express yourself

media.giphy.com

You have only six words to somehow explain your view on race, which makes it that much harder. But, trust me, before you know it, the six words will flow out of your mouth and show the world that this is you.

5. It is easy and simple

media.giphy.com

Most projects concerning race require paragraphs or testimonies that are at least half an hour. But the race card is 6 simple words.

6. Become a part of the conversation

media.giphy.com

Just because race is a touchy subject does not mean we need to not bring it up. Now more than ever its important to talk about it and have the uncomfortable conversations.

media.giphy.com

Everyone's story is different, every six words tell something different. Open yourself up and see as the world shows you what they believe.

8. Tell your friends

media.giphy.com

Spreading this project is essential to allow it to make a difference. Ask your friends to join the movement and explain to them why it's important.

9. Read about others stories

media.giphy.com

Those six words could help you see struggles you never knew existed whether it be being mistaken for the nanny to having your heart drop at the sound of sirens.

10. Be on the right side of history

media.giphy.com

The race card project is one of the many initiatives created to start a conversation about race. Whether you like it or not, race is important in our day to day lives and the more you avoid it, the more you will be left behind.

11. Welcome to The Race Card Project! Send your six words on race

Welcome to The Race Card Project! Send your six words on race

theracecardproject.com

What you see here are candid submissions from people who have engaged in a little exercise. Here's how it works. Think about the word Race. How would you distill your thoughts, experiences or observations about race into one sentence that only has six words? Try it.

I hope you decide to allow your voice to be heard and that this project opens new doors in your day to day communication. The Race Card Project is more than just breaking down the barriers, it is about rebuilding them with a stronger foundation.