eSport: Partake without Being an Athlete

Athlete

42

The notion of eSports stands for electronic sports. Introduction of this genre goes back to late nineties, and today it is a popular form of online entertainment, and many who compete identify themselves as athletes in such circles. eSports is popular in colleges and also part of intercollegiate sports activities and tournaments. Many universities have athletic departments that have identified eSports as an official category and scholarship is granted to eSport athletes. However, there is much debate as to whether you could consider it to be a real sport.

Definition of Sport and eSport

To distinguish these two terms in the traditional sense, one needs to look at the classic definition of sport as a term. As per definitions in Oxford dictionary for English, it is stated as an activity where physical exertion occurs as well as skill is displayed, either by an individual or by a team that compete against one or another in a competitive or friendly environment. The main phrase that stands out in this definition is physical exertion. Basal blood pressure rises while one plays video games which is one of the preliminary findings of any physical sports activity. However, virtual athletes also exhibit a rise in blood pressure due to anxiety, especially when they are playing with others in a video game competition.

Second aspect to consider is skill. While skill is inherent in all physical activities, it is also showcased in virtual ones where people might be playing for fun. Wins and losses are part of virtual activities as well, and that is how such professionals showcase prowess or skill of playing software. There are skills required in online entertainment sessions as found on casino sites such as https://topnzcasinos.co.nz/7spins-casino/ Gambling requires guesswork and strategies as well, especially when it comes to card games.

Even if such similarities are found, many would argue that activities such as soccer or rugby, that include high levels of physical exertion as well as team playing skills and being physically present on the field, cannot be compared to video tournaments.

Physical Activity Component in eSport

Most eSports are equivalent to virtual video games, and these usually involve minimal physical activity. However, there are some that require simulated movements and that in turn, involve physical movements in the participants. For instance, in many virtual software based on real genres like baseball or hockey and even boxing, the participants have to make the actual movements and score points against their opponents.

Non-Athletes Taking Part in eSports

Even if a person is non-athletic in life, he or she can still participate in virtual active events. There are different kinds of virtual software, mostly categorised into first-person shooters or FPS, counter-strike, multiplayer online battle arena or MOBA, card, fighting games and real-time strategies or RTS.

There are different platforms on which these software run. One can try them on PCs as well as on consoles such as PlayStation and Xbox. Controllers help replace keyboard and mouse and are more versatile; however, they do require considerable investment compared to a multi-tasking PC or laptop. Also, PCs or laptops that are used for gaming ideally need to be equipped with strong processing power.

eSports Training

For those who are starting off on virtual software need to get started with tutorials. Since audio-video interactive software have advanced much beyond the simplistic setup that they came with decades ago, any new and trending title needs to be studied and understood. There are live streaming or video tutorials that one can look at which are put out by the software providers or experienced gamers. YouTube and Twitch.tv are popular platforms where players and beginners can get help in how to play the different levels, improve their skills and strategies as well as find titles of their choice.

Attending Live Sessions and Camps

One way to get ahead in electronic software skills is to build a network or try with friends online. Besides learning to play a certain title alone, one needs to test their skills and improve by interacting with others on game chats or other forums. Most online video game sites have dedicated forums for customers to find live online players and interact, team up and exchange tips with.

eSports events like summer camps have also gained popularity of late. Parents of kids who are interested in such activities can enrol them in summer camps which are organised as per age levels. These are usually immersive programs where children train with professionals and learn how to build their passion and be more successful in playing different genres. Children, as well as beginners, can improve skill levels, identify gaming strengths, and get to know how competitive events and tournaments can be tried and other aspects of the different genres in the virtual arena.

Team Play

This is another level of leagues and big tournament events in the virtual arena. Individual sessions can be played to a certain level, even with real-time opponents. More complexity is built into team participation, and that is what makes it challenging and engaging for expert customers. The social network that comes with team games also helps build and sustain interest in the virtual events. In order to learn and play more successfully, an eGamer should ideally be part of a league or group. A successful team can even participate in different tournaments online. Nowadays annual and seasonal competitions or tournaments are held, virtually as well as face to face events.

Increase in Online Presence

Those who wish to establish themselves as a professional gamer need to build their online reputation. This is easy to do by networking with others. Many build video tutorials to help others, showcase their favourite video games, and write blogs, post activities on social media channels like Snapchat, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter and others.

Lifestyle Requirements for Gaming Enthusiasts

Even if you are not an athlete in a conventional way, you might enjoy the skills, competitive strategies and teamwork involved in virtual tournaments. Physical exertion is debatable and depends on the nature of the virtual software that you engage with. Even if you are running software on your PC, it is important to maintain correct posture and ensure that you take regular breaks and take steps to stay physically and mentally active.

For instance, pro gamers might be spending a lot of time on their consoles or PCs, but it is important to exercise muscles and stay physically fit that helps keep the nerve coordination as well as improves concentration. Such activities require one to stay calm and act quickly or make decisions in split seconds. Even chess players, who are required to showcase mind skills and concentration, are known to perform better when they stay physically active; this, in turn, helps them to sustain concentration through several rounds of the games.

Closing Note

eSports might not be physical activities as are traditional events, but to be successful in such virtual competitions and play well, one needs to develop new skills and strategies as well as make decisions and react fast. With the increasing popularity of different genres of virtual games, there is much to explore out there in the world of eSports that is open to athletes and non-athletes alike.