Part 3: Treasure

Part 3: Treasure

The man in the corner talks about gold.

7
Part 3: Treasure
Guyana

The fire burned with intense heat as the night grew old. The man in the corner looked at me. His ale was running low as he was about to embark on the final story of the night. “Now as long as the ocean be blue, these stories are true. Long ago there was a lost city. In this city there was much wealth. But it was lost to time because the people that lived there disappeared. They left the city because it was no longer safe. The ground they built it on was falling into the sea, so they left in search for a city that would not fall into the water. With them, the secrets of the treasure were also lost. In a rumor as old as sea, they made a map. This map was well hidden. The idea was that when the city was that if the city did not fall they could go back. So they made a map to find the city. But as they went away they grew busy and they fanned out until they could not remember where the map was hidden. So this city lay untouched and full of gold. The perfect treasure. Ready and waiting to be taken.

As legend has it looking for the lost city is a fate worst then death. That greed consumes you and that no one would ever find it. The all-important map was even lost to time. How can one find a treasure without a map? The map to the city was hidden. But when it became clear that no one was ever to return to the city, one person wanted to see the mythical city of his ancestors. He was a young and curios man that not only wanted to find the city but he wanted to find it alone. That way he would not have to share the wealth. As the rumor goes he went to the forbidden place…” The man drank a bit more of his dwindling ale. “Ah, the forbidden place is the island where the map was located.”

“Why is it called the forbidden place?”

“Because it is the most dangerous island ever to have a human foot on it. There are animals of no name that wonder the sandy shores. Monsters in the lakes. Demons that burro underneath the surface. It is not a place to go. Death is certain. That is why the map was hidden there. But he went there and copied the map. Because to his surprise the map with not written on paper but craved into the living rock of Yarsis the volcano on the forbidden island. Deep into the caves was the map. This young lad copied it and left. He knew the secrets of the island and went through easily. But no one ever heard from him again. So the legend ends with a mystery. One man may think that he died on that island. Others think he died at sea. Some think he simply got lost and wanders to this day. Maybe he sold the map. Perhaps he never made it to the island in the first place. The more hopeful think that he not only found the island but also found the city.”

“What do you think?”

“Who cares about what think?”

“What was his name?”

“The lad who was rumored to find the lost city was called Jarus. In reality it does not matter if Jarus found it or not. But there is one person who cared because he wanted the treasure for himself. He did not want to share with Jarus. This pirate also did not want to find the city stripped of its gold and wealth. He wanted to sell the wealth of the past to enlarge his great fortune. Son, have you ever heard of Blind Bread the Pirate? Blind Bread had found many treasures in his lifetime. But this treasure promised to be the greatest. He was great pirate that wore two eye-patches… that’s why he was called Blind Bread. He was ruthless sailor of the seas. His harden heart had no mercy and he wanted the treasure of the Lost City. In in the search of this map for the Lost City he story with his band of scalawags would come to end. As they fierce as they were they could handle the forbidden island. According to legend they arrived on the shores and organized a search of the island. But in his demons of the ground that got him. Little monsters came out from there burros and attack the crew. Blind Bread was determined and he continued onward. But some of his crew that weaker constitutions ran back to the boat. Once on the ship they tried to flee. There was a jungle of sharp rocks in front of the ship that they did not see. The ship went into the unforgiving waters surrounding the island. Blind Bread fought the ground demons as he watch his boat get stolen and as his boat was wrecked. Then as ground demons attacked him, he saw the remaining part of his crew fall off the boat into the shark infested waters as the gnashing of teeth caught up to him…” His story was done and he finished his drink. Slamming the cup on the table, “Well, it is getting late.” He made the gesture the get up when I found so courage.

“Wait!” His eyebrows shot up and looked at me. “That’s it?”

“What do you mean that’s it? He did not find the treasure.”

“But that’s no way to end a story.”

“I think it is a great place to end because it’s the end.”

“But endings are supposed to be happy.”

“Not all endings.”

“Is the treasure of the Lost City real?”

“Aye, it be real.”

“How do you know?”

“Somethings you just know.”

“But how? Did anyone find the Lost City other than Jarus?”

“Aye”

“Who?”

“Well, that’s a different question and a different story. And I assume you want to hear it?”

I nod yes.

To Be Continued...